1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen Colbert at Northwestern Homecoming

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    EVANSTON, Ill. Oct 21, 2006 (AP)— Stephen Colbert exchanged his pompous television persona for a fun-loving one Friday night as he handed out candy, not insults, to a crowd at Northwestern University's homecoming parade.

Sporting a purple Northwestern hooded sweat shirt, the host of Comedy Central's "The Colbert Report" rode as grand marshal in a Volkswagen convertible surrounded by cheering fans, some carrying signs touting "Colbert for Commencement."

"I love you, Mr. Noblet!" 18-year-old theater major Tim McGovern yelled to Colbert, who played Chuck Noblet in the TV series and movie "Strangers With Candy."

"Right back at you," said Colbert, who also studied theater before graduating from Northwestern in 1986.

Colbert gave out candy and high-fives and riled up the crowd but didn't stop to speak at length or offer any of the biting humor he has become known for on his show, which lampoons TV news programs with Colbert playing a clueless commentator.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Someone on TV this week said he never went to a game when he was a student there, that he had no school spirit.

A lot of Northwestern kids are like that - they think they're too cool to hang out in Evanston or do college things. They all want to be Sarah Jessica Parker all weekend and go play dress up in "the city."

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

From 1981-1991, Northwestern went 23-96-2 in football.

I wouldn't have gone to any fucking games, either.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I think they could have used Colbert at d-back on Saturday.....

5. Deeper_Background

Not the Rose Bowl years I take it, unless both appearances and wins were concentrated into two seasons

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I've never understood what all the blather about school spirit was about, like going to football games was some sort of Noble Undertaking. It's entertainment, like anything else, and, given the choice of freezing my butt off watching Northwestern football live, or imbibing plenty of spirits while watching the game at home, well, the choice is simple.

7. Deeper_Background

esp. in Chicago during the onset of early winter

Draft saved Draft deleted