1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stephen A. Smith Speaks Out On ESPN Cancellation And Buzz Dissinger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by phawker, Jan 12, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Look out, kids ... somebody put a picture on one of the troll's pages tonight ...

2. phawker

phawker New Member

Gentlemen,

My apologies on violating decorum. And, yes, in hindsight it was presumptuous and premature of me to bestow Board Dickhead status on Ike -- I will look around and get back to you with a fuller list of candidates for your approval. As for the bylaws, please forward them but be advised that I draw the line at anything that involves me in my underpants saying "Thank you, Sir, may I have another?" or any variation thereupon. All kidding aside, full disclosure: I tracked back an inordinate amount of traffic from this board to Phawker when I posted the Bissinger diss and thought there would be a fair amount of interest around these parts in Stephen A.'s response, such as it was. And the only way to post the link was to join the board. And then Ike got my Irish up. My bad.

The Phawker

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

The way I see it, ESPN should treat this show like a missed field goal. OK, so it went wide left on third down [i.e., low ratings]. Just kick it again on fourth down.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and you love him simply because you gave birth to his dumb ass.

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Hallelujah! Nat X loses his silly show.

Perhaps the best result of this is that Scoop can STFU about SAS. Wasn't SAS's getting his own show Scoop's #1 development of the year last year or a few years ago. Buh-bye to that one. Anything that gets that played-out, stereotyped "Angry, loud minority man" junk off of the TV is ok by me. Give David Aldridge a show, that would make me happy. I'm tired of ESPN. I knew once ESPN (tv division, I think?) switched head guys that this ratings-tanker would be on the clock. Justice, baby, justice. Of the market forces variety.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

lol - ever hear of oprah buck?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fair enough

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Are we talking cable, too? What about Bryan Gumbel and Real Sports? That's his 'baby,' if not his own show (all of it).

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

What about shows on BET? Any talk shows there? I honestly don't know.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yeah, I kind of figured Gumbel wouldn't fit, he just came to mind so I threw him out there. :)

I thouht Tavis Smiley moved his PBS show to BET, but I could be totally wrong on that. I'm way behind on all tv shows.

11. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Very nice. That made my reading two pages of SAS posts almost worth it.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The established paradigm holds.

SAS is fine on NBA.

With Philly local talent, he's hit-and-miss.

Outside of those two categories, he's broadly ignorant.

So it goes . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted