1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steinbrenner speaks.. "Cashman on the hook"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, May 25, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AjIx_xpT_yP0dE.Gvf053HY5nYcB?slug=ap-yankees-steinbrennerinterview&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe he'll hire Steve Phillips [/ducking]

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Nah. But I'll wait with bated breath for the fake ESPN press conference where Steve Phillips announces who is hired.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Whenever George speaks, it's because someone else is doing something big in New York. This is how he keeps his name/Yankees on the front (back) page.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Claws, it's an AP story. But the AP has slurped so much Yanks jizz recently, you wonder if they think their non-NY members are competing with the NYC tabloids by proxy.

An AP story, I should add, that has an ending that seems almost like an obligatory add-on. At the end, it mentions Steinbrenner's charitable past, including a recent donation to the families of the Virginia Tech victims.

Admirable? Of course. But it almost reads like he only agreed to do the interview if that info was included, kind of like those PR flaks that want you to mention some sponsor to get an interview with their prominent client.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Bubbler, I understand about the AP thing, but still. It's like Steinbrenner is starring in an old E.F. Hutton commercial.

I might be attending Brewers-Padres game on Saturday. Should be worthwhile to see the Brew Crew.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think that Cashman welcomes this responsibility, but in these quotes, Steinbrenner once again shows how out of touch and foolish he is when it comes to the business of baseball. It's pretty safe to say that if Cashman is a reasonable & objective GM (re: the anti-Phillips), he would have expected this year to be the toughest since he was hired because of him sticking to the philosophy of building from within. No big-time free agents or lop-sided trades for 30+ vets. Obviously, a year as dreadful as this was the furthest from his mind, but Cashman should have expected a few bumps in the road now that he has total control.

But now that the Yankees are the Stankees, Boss Steinbrenner is bitching, moaning and issuing ultimatums. Here's a tip: shut the fuck up, go back to your old folks' home in Tampa and stay there. Just sign the checks when Cashman tells you.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I read this article and read the quotes and it smacked of a 25-inch story that was that long only because OMG Steinbrenner agreed to talk to us!! Reading the quotes, he appears to have said absolutely nothing of any substance during the interview. It read like an interview with a high-school player.

"He should have kept his mouth shut," Steinbrenner said. "The matter is in the hands of the baseball commissioner." = "My offensive line did all the work."

"Mattingly is a good one," Steinbrenner said. "He is very thorough guy. He understands what it is to be a Yankee."= "Our coach did a really good job preparing us for this one."

"He's a real gutsy guy," Steinbrenner said. "We are happy he is back with us." = "You know, we worked hard at practice this week, and we just came out and did what we do."

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fixed.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And the Yankees gave up the game they gained last night.

What are they, 10.5 out?

Who fucking cares?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

buh... buh... buh...

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I know, I know, the Yankees are October.

Draft saved Draft deleted