1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Steelers cut Joey Porter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Did Willie even get a ring with the Steelers in '05? He was on the roster.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Wow, you're 0-for-2 there. Watch much football?
    Porter was let go because the Steelers felt, correctly, he was past his prime, that they could get at least as much out of James Harrison for about 1/4 the money. Although there may be some 4-3 looks, the Steelers will remain primarily a 3-4 outfit because it's what they're built for and because, in the end, it is both more effective and cheaper to operate. A pass-rushing DE costs far more than a pass-rushing LB. Why do you think the Pats and Steelers have stuck with this for so long?

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It probably won't happen, but I'd love to see the Bengals sign Porter.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Didn't want this to get lost. ... Fantastic.

[​IMG]

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Well, that's a different looking paper.

I'll miss Porter. Great player and teammate, though he was one of the most annoying Steelers ever. Dude liked to talk a little too much. Hell, the stuff that came out of his mouth didn't make sense half of the time.

6. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Um, they hooked me on that picture in the upper right hand corner.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I wonder what the "Snakes On A Plane" promo looked like in that corner when it came out.

8. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I think that movie looks fascinating, actually. In a weird, what-the-heck-could-this-movie-possibly-be-about sort of way.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Twoback, you are the one with no clue what you are talking about, but thanks for the truly obnoxious post. Why can't people just disagree on here without being jackasses about it?

The Steelers getting rid of Porter was primarily about two things -- saving money and helping smooth the arrival of the new coach. Porter was already talking about wanting more money on a long-term extension and the team didn't want to saddle Tomlin with that problem. Normally, they would have lived with the BS for the final year of his contract and let him leave as a free agent.

Harrison is not on a level with Porter and never will be. He's a nice player, but he is not capable of the kind of big plays they need from that position in a 3-4. If you don't realize that, you obviously haven't watched that team very much.

I think Tomlin will eventually take the team to his style of defense. They ran the 3-4 this long because it worked and I agree that they should stick with it for the reasons you mentioned. But I just can't see Tomlin sticking to a defense that is exactly the opposite of what he prefers and what he has been involved with throughout his pro career.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which is why the Steelers will draft Florida State's Lawrence Timmons or Florida's Jarvis Moss -- both projected as outside linebackers -- penciling whoever they get at No. 15 into the starting lineup. I just don't see how they would go any other way.

They might switch to a 4-3 defense in time, but they don't have the personnel to do it this season. The transition would take time.

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Porter may not have been the best all-around linebacker, though he was very good, but he made plays, and often at the most important. Every defense, especially the Steelers' 3-4 needs an explosive guy like that. And furthermore, every defense needs a lightning rod.

I was in the stands in 05 playoffs at Indy, surrounded by toothless Colts fans, and grandpa and grandson, both about 10 years apart in age, were in my ear for 3 hrs (Porter had mouthed off all week about Indy's pussified offense), "Where's Joey Porter? Where's Joey Porter!"

4th and 16, Porter sacks Peyton. My just desserts.

Of course a few minutes later Bus fumbles and I'm getting pushed by every inbred cracker within three rows, but it all worked. As we know, right, Trey Beamon?

I, for one, wish Joey nothing but success. He'll be a Pro Bowler somewhere this year, following the footsteps of Rod Woodson, Chad Brown, etc.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They aren't even close to having the personnel, but I'm afraid the switch may be coming sooner than later. Their linebackers don't really fit a 4-3. Foote isn't quick enough, for one thing. Just ask the Seahawks fans who watched Kirkland try to make the transition. Haggans is too small to play at defensive end, but he loses a lot of value if he isn't an edge rusher.

James Farrior has played outside in a 4-3 before, but he became a much better player once he moved inside in a 3-4.

I'm not sure a 4-3 would allow them to use Troy Polamalu the way he is used now, either. A Tampa 2 defense plays the safeties back, which really takes away much of what Polamalu does.

I think they will go for a pass rusher, too, but if they had kept Porter, they could have addressed their need at cornerback in the first round.

Draft saved Draft deleted