1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stats question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Sep 25, 2006.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone know if a clock-stopping spike by a QB counts as an incompletion? I wouldn't think it does, but if not, how does one account for it in the stats? Shouldn't the number of rushes and passes equal the number of total plays?

2. occasionally

occasionally Member

The answer to your stats questions, high school or college, can be found here ...
    http://www.ncaa.org/library/statistical/football_stats_manual/2006/2006_football_stats_manual.pdf

According to this, the passer is charged with the attempt on the "spike," though I seem to remember something being discussed about making this a "team" passing attempt.

3. We usually mark it as a team passing attempt, the same as when a quarterback takes a knee to run the clock out (it's a team rushing attempt). Not sure if that's 100 percent correct to do it that way, but it seems right.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

NFL rules -- A spike is an incomplete pass and counts against the passer's individual stats. A kneel is not an individual rushing attempt. It is considered an ``aborted play'' and counts only against the team's rushing stats, not the individual's. According to Elias Sports Bureau.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

From the NCAA Football Statistician's Manual (my state uses NCAA with some expceptions instead of National Federation rules):
    12. TEAM STATISTICS—In the fair application of statistical rules, there are certain situations during which individual losses should be absorbed by team statistics. In a clarification of previous policies, a team rush should be charged when a quarterback kneels down in order to run out the clock. Also, a team pass attempt should be charged when a quarterback throws a pass into the ground in order to stop the clock. In neither instance should the individual player be charged with the play.

By the way, I keep a pdf of the manual on my laptop and use it extensively during games. It's really good for shutting up some goober who is trying to apply NFL rules to high school games.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My turn.

In my state, field goal attempts are treated in the same way they are in arena football; that is, if you try a field goal from the 50-yard line and the ball makes it to the 4-yard line, that's where the other team takes possession. One of my teams does nothing but field goal attempts -- no drop kicks. Thus far I've been counting them in the punting category for box purposes, since they're treated as such. But for the sake of argument, does this also mean the kicker gets dinged for a missed FG every time?

7. subhead

subhead Member

If the kicker makes it, would you count it as a made field goal?

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. Are you calling me a goober? Why I oughta ...

Draft saved Draft deleted