1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

statewide prep sports positions

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mark2010, May 20, 2009.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hopefully, anyone still working for them doesn't write another article until they receive payment for past ones.

Hell, I might almost require them to pay in advance for future articles.

2. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

As I understand it, Hank, there essentially *is* no CoachesAid.com anymore. They are attempting to "franchise" out the states they have -- trying to find local/in-state investors to pony up (more money than is deserved, by all who have seen the actual numbers ...) for the "name" and infrastructure.

I think they have a grand total of one out of 50. The other 49 states are in varying degrees of decay.

rb

3. nmsports

nmsports Member

Well,

There hasn't been any movement on the board about my former employers, but out of the blue today, I got a call from somebody who said they were offered a position restarting NM.

Apparently, the above post is correct. The franchise fee is $1,500 a month. Ouch babe.

For some reason, I did not give CA a very favorable review and I think I helped convince him of the folly of his ways. If anybody else is offered this "sweet deal," please do not hesitate to PM so I offer my impressions.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Why am I not shocked that, after a few months of laying low, the con artists car salesmen fine folks at CA.com are still out peddling their wares on an unsuspecting public?

Run. Don't walk. Run. And feel free to let the Better Business Bureau -- and your local editorial board -- know about said geniuses.

rb

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bump this as many times as you have to, rb, or anyone else. It's a lousy time to be in this business but if you want to stay in, or get back in, whatever, these places are NOT the way to go.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's how they thing they will get back "into the game." They are hoping some local sports fans w/o the journo training or experience will think this is a good way to get involved and cover sports.
    What a sham.
    Like many of the posters here, I know too many people who were affected by this garbage when they tried to take over the world.

7. nmsports

nmsports Member

MU is correct. The guy I spoke with had no journalistic background.

8. bjammin180

bjammin180 New Member

Bumping this to make sure it doesn't get lost. As one of the CA departed who was screwed more than most, I want to make sure this is seen by anyone contacted in the near or distant future.

Unfortunately, in life, there are no do-overs. If I could have one, I'd use it well. If I can help someone else avoid the same fate, though, I'll be happy...

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Am I the only one who feels a sense of dread every time I see this thread bumped toward the top? Ugh.

That's not to say it shouldn't happen. Good for you, bjammin and others, for trying to alert people not to get into this. I'm just always worried something else bad happened with this soap opera when I see it again.

10. KMcDill

KMcDill Member

As the former Illinois content coordinator who suffered the same fate as everyone else, I read the new entries on this thread in hopes of seeing a story about criminal prosecution. It's been almost six months and I still burn at the thought of what I thought I was involved in when I left Oklahoma City after our training session, and what happened at the end.

It's definitely a story to tell.

11. bjammin180

bjammin180 New Member

K...I've had a lawyer friend look into a number of the things they've done to us. Without contracts, though, we don't have much to stand on. It's just a horrible, horrible situation that has screwed so many extremely talented people on so many levels. To boot, there has also been word spread of a recent sale of the Oklahoma site for an extremely large sum of money that makes me sick to my stomach even thinking about it. If I wasn't a firm believer in karma, I don't know if I would be able to handle how things have gone and continue to go in my life because of these bastards.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No, you're not. Mine, though, is mixed with relief that I walked out of that interview thinking, "no way am I committing to this full-time." That decision looks better with every development in this situation. My sympathies to others who got stuck with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted