1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State record, Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Notepad

Notepad Member

I'd just like to kindly make this point. When you say that Jeremiah Young could play in the MAC or Mountain West, it sort of shows how out of touch you are. Do you really have any idea how good you have to be to even play at that level?
    Take the tiny kid from Pittsburgh Central Catholic a couple years ago. What was his name, Jarvis?
    He was one of the most electrifying backs in the state in some time and he barely was able to get a MAC offer. On top of that, he was a "AAAA" back in high school.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.kentstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=47586&SPID=4445&DB_OEM_ID=11400&ATCLID=589567&Q_SEASON=2008

I believe you are speaking of Eugene Jarvis, who 1,669 yards last year as a sophomore at Kent. He has missed some time with injuries and is second on the team with 720 yards this year. It seems like he has been pretty dynamic at the college level, too.

3. Notepad

Notepad Member

My point exactly.
    This Jarvis kid struggled to get a MAC offer.
    So to say Jeremiah Young could play at the MAC/Mountain West level is ludicrous.

Some people just have no idea how good you have to be to play a skill position in Division I football.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He may have struggled to get an offer, but Jarvis has had no problem playing at that level.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, it's not as if Jarvis is rotting on the bench.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I saw two years of Eugene Jarvis. Jeremiah Young has as much game as Jarvis. And he IS struggling to get an FBS offer.

Notepad, sometimes folks like you get too hung up on "AAAA" back against "A" back. It's common. A ballplayer is a ballplayer.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And Terrelle Pryor played at AA Jeannette. Looks like he might turn out okay.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Colt McCoy played at a 2A school in Texas and is in the Heisman mix.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Plus, if you're making the argument that you can't differentiate between a running back for a top-40 team and a running back for a Sun Belt or Big West club, that's ludicrous. They are two separate, distinct levels.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Is there a distinct size or speed problem with this kid that might turn off big schools? If he's really a good student, he ought to try the Ivies.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

In case you missed it, PA's single-season TD record, previously held by Austin Scott, was shattered by Schuylkill Haven's Zach Barket the previous week.

He scored four touchdowns in last night's 43-0 win over Philadelphia Communications Tech and now has 61.

BTW, he's only a few dozen yards away from Scott's single-season rushing record of 3,846.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Barket's having one unbelievable season. I think the lowest he's been held to has been 208 yards.

Would love to see Haven get through another game and see Steel-High in two weeks. Barket vs. Young would be worth price of admission.

Draft saved Draft deleted