1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of The Union

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 17, 2006.

1. http://www.surveyusa.com/50State2006/50StateBushApproval060815State.htm

What's a bigger surprise, that he's down to 39 percent in Kansas or that he's up to 33 percent in Massachusetts?

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Or is the biggest surprise is another negative Bush thread?

Oh, wait, none there...

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Feel free to start a positive Bush thread.

Creative writing class starts at 4:00.

4. Obviously, a class you've mastered, considering your posts here.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow. Lyman's back with more witty repartee.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ignore the guy, Lyman. He's not only unAmerican, he's unCanadian. A mere rabble rouser. I've started a list of all the great things George Bush has done as president:

1. Didn't rush blindly into any unwarranted action on 9-11.
    2. Kept the tax cuts

Feel free to add.

7. Fenian - you do realize that poll numbers mean squat to Bush? Its not like he has to run again.

Why not mention that his poll numbers at this point in his second term are similar to Harry Truman (and we know how history has treated Truman).

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They love him in Hi-De-Ho, Okieland, and Yewtuh.

It's a beautiful thing.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What's with the obsession with Bush's approval ratings? I've never understood it.

People in this country can't even balance a checkbook, maintain a savings account, or, in many cases, read at better than a fourth grade level. Yet these people can judge, from month to month, the job that the President is doing? And who even cares?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who cares what kind of job the president of the United States does? Hmmmm. Not the president, evidently. But a whole bunch of other people.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I care what job the President is doing. I could not care less what Joe Sixpack in Wyoming thinks.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't hate Bush. I actually voted for him. And I want reasons to like him. So I don't post this in a state of idealogical hatred or blind hysteria...

I'm all for low taxes, as any fiscal conservative is. But tax cuts are incredibly dumb policy when your administration is spending like a drunken sailor, as Bush's has been.
    The budget deficit last year totaled $319 billion, the third largest deficit on record. Sadly, that was an improvement from the record $413 billion in red ink in 2004.

The CBO just put out a revised forecast for the Federal deficit for the current fiscal year, which shows that despite the fact that the deficit spending continues to reduce, we are still going to be $260 billion in the hole for the year. With the way we are spending, the CBO estimates s $1.76 trillion deficit over the next decade, and a deficit twice that if Congress makes the Bush tax cuts permanent, as the administration would like.

Tax cuts in a vacuum sound like a great thing. But running deficits that large bodes badly for our economy. I actually believe in supply-side economics, but there are diminishing returns from repeated tax cuts. We are probably past the point at which lower taxes are spurring any significant investment. Whether you agree with that or not, it's clear that we are spending way too much and not bringing enough in. If we are going to spend a ton on wars, fighting terrorism, providing natural disaster relief and funding entitlement programs, I'd rather do the fiscally responsible thing and actually pay for them. So I don't agree with the second point on your list.

Draft saved Draft deleted