1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of Play

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Apr 19, 2009.

1. topsheep

topsheep Member

It's better the 2nd time, and plotlines became more clear. Mirren wasn't as bad as I thought, but someone else, an American should've played the part.

As an aside, seeing the preview for Public Enemies with Depp and Bale has really intrigued me.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's awesome. I know I told this story on my layoff thread, but when I went to turn in my laptop, they literally wouldn't take it. They just said, "Go ahead and keep it," because they realized what a worthless piece of shit it was. They wouldn't take my phone back, either.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wife and I saw it tonight. Both really liked it.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saw it today - wanted to like it more than I did. A few things I had a problems with - a double homicide in DC isn't going to warrant an "investigative reporter." (Though I realize only reviews have labeled Crowe's character as such), no way a paper allows Crowe to hang in with a story he has a personal relationship, no way a third-year Congressman chairs a hearing on something more than road sign improvement efforts and why does the same rent a cop show up at the Metro station and the hospital?
    And maybe it was just me, but I was kind of hoping the paper would spike the story and Crowe would have ended up leaking it to Drudge.
    Liked the "redesign" mention, the "mediacorp." sign and loved the closing montage - really sad that many newsrooms will no longer be able to hear the press run in their building and grab an early copy to proof thanks to off-site printing.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Tried to watch the BBC series it was based on tonight. Even though it had some great actors in it, I couldn't be bothered after one episode. The conflicts of interests are even more profound in this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted