1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

State of California is broke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, May 31, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

usgovinfo.about.com/od/incometaxandtheirs/a/Illegal-Immigrants-Pay-Taxes-Too.htm

According to Immigration Policy Center, California led all states in taxes from households headed by illegal immigrants, at $2.7 billion in 2010.

Based on estimates compiled by the Institute for Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), the Immigration Policy Center reported that the $11.2 billion in taxes paid by illegal immigrants in 2010 included $8.4 billion in sales taxes, $1.6 billion in property taxes and $1.2 billion in state personal income taxes.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's no sales tax on food for home preparation. Sales tax still applies to a whole range of household items and soda pop and prepared foods.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Didn't read far enough, Az? Same link:

Note: While California may have realized $2.7 billion from taxes paid by illegal immigrants in 2010, a 2004 report by the Federation for American Immigration Reform showed that California spends over $10.5 billion annually on the education, health care and incarceration of its illegal immigrant population.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No, I read that far.

How much wealth, especially in the California agricultural sector, do 'illegals' create?

5. LongTimeListener

That has always been a mystery. I myself have always appreciated paying a reasonable amount for dinner, so I don't have a huge problem with the whole thing.

But to deny that it is a significant (and maybe the most significant) problem facing the state is just folly. I believe the last numbers I saw were that 15 percent of children in California public schools are undocumented immigrants or the children of undocumented immigrants. Little wonder that school test scores lag. And if you've never been to an emergency room on a weekend night, I would recommend an educational trip.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I lived there for a very long time. And emergency rooms on weekend nights are crowded everywhere.

California's problem since the late 70s isn't just, or even mainly, its remarkably inexpensive mobile labor force. It's Howard Jarvis.

7. maberger

maberger Member

"Fair tax" would be me NOT paying $4,000 a year in property tax while my neighbor pays $400.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you like paying low prices for produce? Just imagine if illegals were sent home.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why I need to subsidize the agriculture industry. In fact, I don't want to. If iceburg lettuce costs $5 a head, I can make the choice of whether to buy it.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How is this possible?

11. LongTimeListener

Property taxes are frozen at the purchase price of the home. It isn't as drastic as he makes it sound, but two people can be living next to each other and one paid $200,000 for the house and one paid $700,000, and the tax difference is enormous. The way bigger problem is businesses that exist on the same land for a hundred years and never pay more property taxes even if that landed has increased 1,000 percent in value.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Thanks, Howard!

Draft saved Draft deleted