1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stat-friendly and stat-unfriendly baseball writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 5, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't know why it needs to be an either-or. It's just a different way in. To go to my initial example, my son's chance of ever being good enough to play major league baseball is negative 11 billion percent. My son's chance of acquiring the math skills necessary to work in a front office? Pretty good chance, as good a chance as anything else he might consider now at age 13. That would be assuming he wants to do it, which maybe (probably) he won't. However, working toward that goal would leave him with a solid educational foundation for any direction he'd want to go.

It isn't unlike telling someone they can be an astronaut or a Supreme Court justice in that regard. Very few people get to that spot, but having them aim in that direction leaves them in pretty good shape if they don't make it all the way.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

In baseball ops/scouting/player development positions? Quite a few. That's where specialized baseball experience and expertise helps.

But in the accounting department? In media relations? In medical/training? In human resources? In IT? In legal affairs?

Almost none.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/team/front_office.jsp?c_id=chc

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

See, you're moving the goalposts. I think it's more likely that a male infant born in the USA will reach the major leagues as a player than not play professionally and reach the major leagues in the kind of role someone who aspires to be the next Sandy Alderson would want. That means baseball decisions. That's the dream, helping to form a roster. And the best path to that goal is to be good at baseball.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You're very sensible for a man with BK as his avatar. Respect.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I am not. My first response to this line of discussion was the following:

What I hear most from college students and our interns is: "I want to work in baseball/sports one day." For most of them, yes, that means baseball ops.

My response to them is: "Want to know how to make a career out of working in baseball? Develop your skills at something else and then look for jobs in the baseball industry."

I'm not going to discourage anyone from striving for a job in baseball ops, just as I'm never going to discourage a writer from striving for a job at ESPN or Sports Illustrated. But you better be really fucking good at player development and analysis or find a way to make a name for yourself and get hired (like Kevin Goldstein and Mike Fast just did with the Astros.)

But there are thousands of other good jobs working in baseball. And if you want to "work in baseball" badly enough ... there are realistic ways you can do it. Just know that it probably won't be in baseball ops. But you can still be around the game, you can still be around lots of baseball people and baseball events, you can still make a nice living at it.

That said ... if you will settle for nothing less than being the next Sandy Alderson ...

Thanks in large part to the influence of sabermetrics, there are now lots of different paths to moving up in the front office besides being a good ballplayer — after all, Theo Epstein got a degree in American Studies and his first job was in the Padres' PR department. But that job also requires a lot more areas of expertise than just the ability to construct a talented roster and make smart baseball-related decisions.

You better understand contract law/negotiations, you better understand payroll and finances, strategic planning on an organizational level, media relations, business communication, and so on. So even if that is your dream, you will still have to develop those non-baseball-related skills (unless you're Dan Duquette, of course.)

And it's a hell of a lot easier to get your foot in the door with a team in any of those other departments than it is through baseball ops, where every Bleacher Report "senior writer" is clamoring for a job, too. And hey, once you're in, you start meeting people around the office, you talk baseball, you pick the brains of the people in baseball ops, you come up with a good idea, and who knows where that might lead ...

I think all of that is much more realistic than dreaming about Sandy Koufax.

EDIT: (to clarify my segue)

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Una Corona por favor.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

What do you mean by anal? What's up with that?

Draft saved Draft deleted