1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting self proprietorship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Freelancing for two entities in California, both in the same county. A newspaper and a news group. Trying to start a self-proprietorship. I have an EIN and I am filed under my own name. Does anybody know what else I need to do ... file something with my city or county and place an ad in the paper?

This you-can-only-write-24 stories per year thing ... wow, who keeps track of that? Are there freelancers and/or newspapers out there who are just ignoring it?

2. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

It's 35 articles (or photos) a year, per publication.

You probably should keep track of it, but the penalties fall on the publications, not the freelancer, so you know they will.

I've freelanced for 33 years and I've never had to declare myself as such other than on tax returns. But it sounds like you might be trying to portray yourself as a vendor, versus a freelancer. (Byline: by Bob Smith, Inc.) It might work. Just make sure you send an invoice for every article.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am curious now, how that works logistically. Does setting up as a sole proprietorship rather than as an LLC or corporation get you a business to business exemption under that Cali law?

Draft saved Draft deleted