1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting pay

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. That's been my experience to date.

And henryhecht, as for the KC Star, somebody there once told me how it worked with young writers. They have preps positions that, as of five years ago, were awarded to people as three-year contracts at $24,000 annually. Do well, get promoted like Ivan Carter. Or you simply rack up clips for three years on the cheap there and move elsewhere.

Not sure if that's still how it works there, but that's how it was then.

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

So where ya at now — in terms of pay?

3. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

for this business, if your not the cream of the crop (which I am not) anything above $30,000 is pretty good if you ask me

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed. This non-drinker damn near had a beer the moment I crossed that $30,000 barrier years ago.

5. i have yet to cross the 22,500 barrier and have been doing it for nine years, the last three as a sports editor. i keep asking myself why every single day

6. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

guessing those making over 50K should feel lucky, right?

7. Taylee

Taylee Member

First job paid $6.75 an hour, which was less than I was making in college when I was working for a roofing company. Even then the lower wage and an air-conditioned building seemed much better than 100-degree days on two-story houses.

8. With all due respect, 50K is the lower end of salaries here, which works fine for me at 24, but hardly something to feel "lucky" about.

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

That link is outdated. Some of those papers are defunct or have folded, like the King County Journal in WA

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

I started at a non-union shop, and with my starting pay, I was lucky to get change back out of my quarter!

11. pmartin25

pmartin25 Guest

good for you making that much in this biz and yes, you should feel lucky making that much at 24

12. zman82

zman82 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted