1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting over, musically

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Dec 31, 2011.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I have a small amount of cash to spend on iTunes today in what essentially will be the first phase in putting together a digital music collection from scratch. What songs must I buy?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dixie Chicks.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Thanks for the input, asshole (TWSS). Actually, the've produced a few really good songs. Maybe down the road I'll add a track or two.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You into R.E.M.? I got a two-disc set recently, kind of the best of the best of the best. And it was only like 12 bones for 40 songs.

Foo's Wasting Light is a pretty good expenditure, too. Any Foo will do, actually.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

ps - if you are into R.E.M. and Foo, don't use your money on that. I'll get you the discs and you can load 'em up.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I love early R.E.M., before they lost their religion. In fact, good reminder I need to purchase "Swan Swan H" and "Begin the Begin," two of the primary songs on the soundtrack of my misspent high school years.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are some websites out there where you could have your library completely replenished by the end of the day, free of charge... :D

As Moddy said, you can never go wrong with Foo Fighters.

If I had to replenish my collection, I'd be looking for Pearl Jam, White Stripes, The Pixies, The Killers, Zeppelin, early GNR, early Metallica, Beastie Boys, Roots, Tribe Called Quest, Jay-Z, very early Springsteen....

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know I've seen Eponymous (first REM greatest hits album) very cheap out there. I can't remember if it was iTunes or not...

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I know what I like, but trying to buy music with a limited budget ends up like every trip I ever made to a record store. I put together an extended list in my head and have all kinds of great ideas. Then I walk into the store, my mind goes completely blank and I end up walking out with a shitty Les Claypool solo album.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I'm a longtime REM fan and I'm a product of that era - your standard U2, Elvis Costello, etc.

Lately, I've been trying to discover stuff post-2000 or thereabouts when I quit paying attention to new artists. So more recent REM stuff doesn't count.

Lately I've been listening to the Eels after I had a chance to see them live. Pretty good stuff.

And I'll second the motion on White Stripes (or whatever Jack White is doing these days).

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Feel free to PM me the sites! I lost all of my napster era music in a laptop crash many years ago and then family, career and life meant no more time to look for new music. I do some torrent sites but anm out of the loop since Pirate Bay was shut down.

12. vicd

vicd Active Member

Captain Beefheart or Yoko Ono. Can't go wrong with either.

Draft saved Draft deleted