1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting lineman benched for boot camp

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by farmerjerome, Sep 6, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I can't find a link to this, but I just saw a story on the news and think this is flat-out stupid.

A lineman for a Rochester (NY)-area high school has been benched because he enrolled in the military and couldn't complete all of the 15 mandatory practices. I think it was the national guard.

The parents appealed all the way up to the state senator, no dice.

When I first saw it, I thought that it might be a boot camp for an arrest. But come on, this kid is going to serve our country and he can't play high school football? I'm calling bullshit.

Make an exception.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

So skip the first week, keep on practicing and play in Week 2.

On the injustices scale of 1 to 10, this is about a 1.2.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's still pretty shitty.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Zero tolerance, baby.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't have a problem with that rule, to be honest. I understand it's a legit excuse, not like going on summer vacation. But if a practice is mandatory, there should be penalties for not being at each one. He'll sit out the first game, setting an example for the entire team, and will probably be back out for the second week. Coaches have to set limits. Though this is an extreme case, I understand his ruling. Everyone must play by the same rules.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Life can be that way sometimes.

Is it 'fair?' Probably not. But it's sooo not a big deal. Methinks the rule is there to protect high school players from getting injured as a result of not practicing enough.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Life isn't fair. If he's good he'll reclaim his starting job anyway. But life isn't fair. Time my generation and the younger ones remember that from time to time.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Benched probably isn't the right word, here.

If he failed to meet the state requirement for number of practices before the first game, he's ineligible.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds crappy but you can't set a precedent like that. What happens if the next guy who misses was on religiois retreat? Do you let them slide as well?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As long as there are helicopter parents, there will be unjust singular causes ....
    But yeah, that is pretty shitty

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Story link: http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=7039174&nav=2aKD

BTW, South Seneca is deep in farm country, not really near Rochester.

12. What would have happened to him had he missed boot camp?

Draft saved Draft deleted