1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Start your tradin': Carlos Lee to Rangers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Jul 28, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I don't think Melvin did it because he was familiar with the players. I think Melvin did it because he wanted major league players in return. He feels like the Brewers are one good winning streak away from really being in the wildcard hunt and that with Sheets and Ohka coming back, that run isn't implausible. I'm sure that Lee could have been packaged with a few other players and the Crew could have raided the Twins deep farm system. But Melvin doesn't want players who can't help the team until 2008-2009. My guess is that Texas was the only contender willing to deal him a major league outfielder (Mench) and a proven closer (Cordero). From what I read, Melvin wanted Mench and Cordero straight up for Lee. Texas said they couldn't do that for a guy who might end up as a rent-a-player and demanded Cruz. Melvin said he wanted Nix then and made the deal. I wish Melvin had traded for higher ceiling prospects -- that's my disappointment.

Given Melvin's record with former Rangers in Milwaukee -- he rehabbed the careers of former Rangers Podsednik, Davis and Kolb -- I'm willing to give him some leeway.

Edit: Bubs, the third man looks like Earl Hindman -- i.e. Wilson from Home Improvement.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm hearing rumors that the Brewers are going to announce another trade after their game is done. Anyone else hearing the same?

Edit: Whoa! My man Stand Pat might be dealing David Bell to the Crew.

/phanboy

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Melvin said it would be a deal for infield help. Also said it would not be anything exciting.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And he is 2-for-2 with two singles to center.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The Brewers website story seems to be thinking the same thing. I heard that it was Bell for a prospect. As long as it isn't Gwynn, I'll be OK with it. Bell's megadeal expires this season and Koskie is probably out for the year.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NA...t_id=1580362&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

After suffering through the Ed Wade years, it's nice to have a grown-up running the show at the deadline.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

PHINALLY! Phils make a deal.

Gillick confirms Bell to Milwaukee. Wilfredo Liriano (Class A -- West Va.) to Clearwater.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Stark was just on BBTN saying the Rangers are close to getting Miguel Tejada.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can anyone in Texas explain to me why the Rangers would want Miguel Tejada.

They need pitching. They have Michael Young. And plenty of guys to DH.

WTF?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dude ... it's Orson freaking Welles. C'mon, man, you're better than that! :D

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because they know their pitching won't ever carry them anywhere?

Draft saved Draft deleted