1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Start at big newspaper in news or small for sports?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ATLHawksComeback, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ATLHawksComeback

ATLHawksComeback New Member

I graduated from college in May and am currently finishing up an internship. I haven't gotten any offers, but I am starting to get some interest from a few editors. The newspaper I am currently with would like to keep me, I think, but there aren't any openings in sports. They do have an opening in the metro section. I am also applying for some jobs around the country and am a finalist a few places, so I have a decision to make in the next few weeks.

a. Take a metro reporting job at a big newspaper (150-200k).
    b. Take a sports reporting job at a smaller newspaper (15-25k).

The pay doesn't really matter to me at this point. I just want to get my foot in the door, and see if I have what it takes to be a great sports writer.

Sports is, without a doubt, what I am passionate about, but I don't know which will be best for my career. I would say I am a decent journalist now, but I want to be great.

If you were in my shoes what would you do and why?

Thanks ... I probably just jinxed on landing any of the jobs.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Take A

Just trust me.

3. Definitely go with A. You can always move to sports from within, and who knows? You may prefer Metro.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Hate to burst your bubble, but being a finalist doesn't mean you'll get an offer.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't think it's a slam dunk, but it's interesting, because some papers will take a flyer on a metro guy with sports knowledge, because of that reporting background.

If you're leaning toward the big one, see if they'll let you do some weekend game coverage as a stringer to get some sports clips, if it doesn't conflict with your metro job.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

A buddy of mine chose a and never returned to sports. doesn't seem like he regrets it, but know I could never do that.

7. Go with A.

Where the hell do you live too? I had the four biggest dalies in my area Post/Sun/Examiner/Times all tell me I needed years of time at a daily before they would sniff hiring me.

This business I just dont' understand sometimes.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It doesn't understand itself.

9. ATLHawksComeback

ATLHawksComeback New Member

I know finalist doesn't mean much. Just putting out the thoughts that are going through my head. That way I can start my dramatic hoping process. If I don't know which one is best I won't know what to hope for ... in the short term.

Thanks for the input.

10. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

As a guy who started at a small daily sports section I say take A. You'll have better quality of life living in a big city, especially at this age (I assume you are young). Living in a dive for a fews years should be avoided at all costs. And it won't hurt to know your way around a police report if you ever make the transition back to sports.

11. Bears00

Bears00 Member

I'd take A without a doubt. Working on the metro side will push you to become a better reporter because you will be out of your comfort level.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Given the chance, take "A" and thank your lucky fuckin' stars for the opportunity. It will take many (most?) of us several stops to get to a paper that size, sports or not.

Best of luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted