1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starbucks thread - thank you boom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 24, 2006.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I must say Starbucks does have exceptional steamed apple cider which is an occasional treat. Tim Hortons has decent cider too, but only certain locations :( That's my addiction.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So I just needed a break and went out for a walk and turned it toward the local Starbucks. Bought a pount of the Ipanema Bourbon. I told them about this thread, and they laughed. They said it was very good, seasonal and popular, but they weren't sure about the nectar of the heavens stuff. He said it was very similar to a more expensive bean they sell, but is popular because it is less expensive and almost as good, for what its worth. I don't remember the name of the other bean he mentioned. I'll drink some of this stuff tomorrow morning and report back about whether it has changed my life. :)

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ragu - have I steered you wrong yet ? Trust me when the bourbon is gone you'll be counting the days till it comes out again.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I can't live without at least three cups of coffee a day. At one point after I moved back East I was on a Coolata-a-day kick and as noted before, frothy coffee-type beverages are massive carbs. (As I typically remind Cougarguy, who routinely orders a venti mocha chip frappucino every time we hit Starbucks.) I'll stick to cinnamon iced coffee with splenda, but if I get particular on coffees I'll go for Starbucks' Yukon or Verona blends, Millstone's Kahlua (which as a coffee needs milk) or just about anything Green Mountain makes - I'm quite partial to the GM blueberry, french toast or breakfast blend.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At the Dirty Cowboy Cafe (a Dartmouth favorite), they make each cup fresh, and there are scores of international coffees. One of them from Jamaica is outstanding.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

"Is it impossible to get a cup of coffee-flavored coffee? You can get every other flavor except coffee-flavored coffee! They got mochachino, cappuchino, frappachino, Al Pacino, what the fuck? www.what the fuck.com!"--Denis Leary

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I've never been in a Starbucks. I don't drink much coffee, except sometimes when I'm having breakfast out. My favorite coffee was the kind they used to have in the composing room, back when they had composing rooms. Hot and strong.

My daughter, however, thinks that Starbucks is the most wonderful place on earth.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have a coffee idea for Dunkin Donuts, using Al Pacino as the pitchman:  the "Al Dunka-Pacino," with a few extra shots of espresso or whatnot for extra jolt, and he goes:

"Meet my lit'le coffee!"

Or, since Dunkin'  Donuts sells vanilla chai tea, have a hassidic rabbi doing a dance and singing "Drink Vanilla Chai, Chai!" to the tune of Om Yisrael Chai!

It would be really funny.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Our town's first Starbucks is about to open, but it will be hard to give up my local coffee place.

I do have a fondness for SB, since working at World Cup in Tokyo. There was a SB in the lobby of the office building next to our hotel and we made it a point to have our daily meeting there and watch the people wander in and out. It also made me a believer in brand marketing. People were continually lined up for their caffeine fix. Did I mention that a large cup cost $8 US

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Question: does it make sense to sink bucks into the good beans at SB if you have a less-than-awesome coffeemaker?

The iced quad no whip mocha wins the internet.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

I have that show on my laptop. It makes me howl.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

As long as you grind your own beans, yeah it makes sense to get the good stuff, regardless of the cofee maker.

If you can't be bothered to grind, just buy Folgers.

And if there are any coffee fans out there who haven't switched to a maker tham brews into a thermos rather than a glass carafe on a burner, DO IT NOW!

That and my DVR are two inventions where I can't imagine going back to the alternative.

Draft saved Draft deleted