1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starbucks thread - thank you boom

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Finally found that Impanena Bourbon you were talking about a while ago. Wow. Thank you for the suggestion.

My coffee world has expanded. Stop the presses.

What are some other coffee surprises out there?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you can still find it this year, buy it all and sell it to Boom for $100 a pound....it's seasonal, and when it's gone, it's gone.

3. Moderator1

Hell, I'm headed downstairs. There's six pounds left!

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

How many people, like me, have become brand-loyal Starbucks drones, tossing at least $20 a week?

They've got their hooks in me but good.

5. Moderator1

Seriously.

My brother in law asks, "What the hell is wrong with good old Maxwell House?" He says this while sipping Starbucks.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

We have a Starbucks in the lobby of our building and we get a discount on the coffee. Also, we get frequent buyer rewards, like a free grande. Want to guess how much we drop every day?

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Moddy ... you didn't like the Canadian java I sent you?  :-\  :D

8. Moderator1

LOVE it. Hard to find down here. Thanks much. Love the mugs, too.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I decided it was my one ridiculous expense that I could really cut back on. I think the Starbucks where I live might be particularly expensive, too. I live and work within a mile radius. So my world is very contained. I buy good coffee beans--often from Starbucks. I like their Columbian blend a lot. But I make my own coffee first thing when I wake up in the morning. I drink about 3/4 of a pot of the stuff. It is my one vice. I am so bad in the mornings that it takes me an hour of watching Sportscenter and trying to get my eyes to stay open before I can get my ass out of the apartment anyhow. Then I go exercise and make my way to the office.

My best Starbucks story (and the greatest ego boost I have ever gotten)--and a person or two who are on the board and knew me in my Chicago days will remember this. I used to live in a gay neighborhood in Chicago. There was a Starbucks on the corner of my street. This was more than 10 years ago. I only point out that it was a gay neighborhood, because for some reason most of the people working in the Starbucks were gay men--at least by appearances they were. I don't know if it was coincidence or by design. There were a couple of women who worked there. I never really talked to anyone who worked there all that much, maybe a little chit chat, but I used to go in there every morning to buy my coffee, and at a certain point they just stopped charging me. It didn't matter who was working the register. It was "no charge." I never asked any questions. Just said thank you.

This went on for months and months, and then finally one day, one of the guys working there starts talking to me. One of the women who worked there liked me, but was afraid to talk to me, and all the guys who worked there had made me into their project without me knowing it. It was actually quite stalkerish. They were asking around the neighborhood to try to figure out who I was, what my name was, where exactly I lived, what I did. They even had a dossier they had compiled, which they eventually showed me. It was hysterical, because about 3/4 of the info they had was wrong. I went out on one date with the woman who worked there--I felt like I owed it to her for what had been more than half a year of free coffee, but I really wasn't into her and I was sort of dating someone else at the time anyhow.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Starbucks is finally going blue collar and moving into my neighborhood. Or maybe my neighborhood is finally movin' on up.

Either way, though, now I don't have to be downtown or in the East End to get my venti frapps.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ragu,

You live in Bucktown or Roscoe (said with a lisp) Village?

*Paging Jones for a comment on your depraved sexual deviance* :D

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

starbucks is god's way of telling you there is too much disposable income in your life. ;D ;D ;D

an occasional guilty pleasure" fine. but a daily fix? that's money i can't justify to the mrs. and three kids. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted