1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek Voyager marathon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Correction
    Because of an editor's error, the cable channel remaking 'The Prisoner' television series was incorrectly identified in a post on today's SportsJournalists.com. The series is being remade by AMC.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Correction
    Because of an editor's error regarding a network ID, I was optimistic about the remake of the classic TV series The Prisoner. It would be more accurate to say I am somewhat concerned about this development.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

4. 2muchcoffeeman

I am not a number --- I am a free man!

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I hope someday to wake up and find myself inexplicably trapped in The Village from 'The Prisoner' — being randomly dosed with hallucinogenic drugs and getting chased by giant white balloons.
    How cool would that be?

6. 2muchcoffeeman

CORRECTION
    Earlier, it was reported that AMC is remaking The Prisoner. Actually, the British studio Granada is reviving the series for British channel Sky One. The series' name has been changed to Number Six and is expected to debut this spring. Our fears are somewhat eased.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is better news. So AMC is just buying it from the British channel?
    Damn USA Today, giving me bad info.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The whole point of the show is tipped at the very beginning:

"Who is Number One?"
    "You are (...) Number Six."

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Eh, I'm not really scared. Never thought of myself as a Trekker (no way would I go to a convention), but I probably am.

I still watch re-runs of The Next Generation and I used to watch the DS9 re-runs on Spike when I was home during the day. The expanded universe novels are actually pretty good for those of you who miss having new stories about these old characters. They've got a relatively new series about Riker getting his own command, the Titan, right after the last movie.

Deep Space 9 is still my favorite of the series. I made the comparison to the new Battlestar Galactica before, with the common thread being the presence of Ronald Moore as a producer and a major creative voice (though he wrote for The Next Generation as well).

Both shows feature flawed heroes who often do the wrong thing, villians who aren't completely evil and other characters in the gray areas between, which is what makes them so interesting. There is one episode of DS9 ("In the Pale Moonlight") in which Captain Sisko is willing to do anything to get the Romulans to enter the war with the Dominion, leading to the death of a Romulan diplomat. It is an excellent example of everything that made the show special and unique.

I once heard somebody attribute the popularity of Star Trek to the fact that it is one of the few futuristic stories that actually has life on Earth getting better. So much science fiction is set in distopian futures like the Mad Max movies. Star Trek took a more optimistic approach, and maybe that is the appeal.

So, of course, I like the darkest of the Star Trek series, the one in which the Federation allowed the Bajorans to be enslaved and abused for 50 years (a kind of allegory for the Holocaust) and then tied up much of the plot in later seasons to a war. Go figure.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Not certain, now. Just found a story that says (claims?) AMC is doing its own series for 2008, and there's a Hollywood Reporter story here that says AMC and Granada are collaborating, but has a different premiere date (January 08).

11. Out: Star Trek is so popular because it shows a human race that has overcome war, poverty, racism and George Bush.

Top Star Treks

The Next Generation: Mediocre captain, good enemies, cool new ship with saucer section the disconnects. Data and Worf the best characters.

Enterprise: You guys are seriously underestimating this series. The whole Vulcans-held-back-humanity thing is great.

Voyager: Slow at first but great. Mulgrew was the best actor in the Star Trek series.

DS9: Best battle scenes in Sci-Fi television history. Loved the Dominion and Averi Brooks was the second best captain.

By the way, Battlestar is the best sci-fi television series ever. It betters any of the Star Treks.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the original series -- with Lorne Greene as Commander Adama -- or the new Battlestar Gallactica series on SciFi (that I haven't been able to get into because the original is so ingrained in my head)?

Draft saved Draft deleted