1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star-Telegram cutting "some" 22 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GuessWho, Feb 8, 2011.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

The hits just keep on coming. Don't know about sports. So it's "some" 22 jobs huh? I'll take the over on that.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/02/08/2832551/star-telegram-cutting-some-22.html

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

And the McClatchey CEO said that January advertising was down 10% after being down 6.9% in the fourth quarter. More hits coming.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Continuing trend ... for this month.

Charlotte.
    Sacramento
    Kansas City.

Etc.

Nice that they held off on the cuts until the Super Bowl left town and the crunch that was put on the newsroom during the past week.

4. Also Raleigh.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Using people has become part of the journalistic creed.

6. nmsports

nmsports Member

"Using people has become part of the journalistic creed."

Drip, I think you dropped two letters at the beginning of your sentence: "Ab"

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL. Good one nmsports.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know I've told this story before, but there was an editor who was let go during the purge of 2008. He was re-hired by the same chain a few months later, but had to take a massive pay cut and move his family across the country on his own dime to take the job.

Six months later, he was let go in the purge of 2009.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hope they had good security. I know a few folk who would've torched the place.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm still surprised no former newspaper employee has shot up a paper.

In hindsight, I was lucky to get the severance package I did.

I know a guy who had been at a paper for 20 years who didn't get one cent of severance.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I've typed the same thing on this board before. Going editorial would be a logical successor to going postal, given the passions involved and the crushed dreams/careers. Wrong, obviously, but understandable.

12. I'm not saying he should have killed her ... But I understand! </Chris Rock>

Draft saved Draft deleted