1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Ledger laying off 40 from newsroom - 170 overall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 3, 2014.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

To do that would require the Advance to let The Times out of its family of papers while the Trentonian would have to break free from Journal Register. The parent companies of both papers have moved printing offsite so neither paper owns its own press anymore. Parent companies also supply much content for the papers (the Times uses stories from Advance papers Star Ledger and Newsday, while the Trenotnian uses the Journal Register wire). In other words, both papers are too dependent on their parent company - for production and content - to break free and merge.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From Luicci's tweet, sounds like it may have been his choice?

Feel those who posted here and all the others. This business is a doozy.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just crushed for Frank and Joe and all others affected by this.

4. EStreetJoe

Can't tell from Lucci's tweet if it was his choice or not. If it was his choice it could have been a matter of him seeing the writing on the wall and is afraid of how things are going to be in the fall.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Joe or Frank ... has there been any discussion about being able to reapply for positions in the consolidated newsroom (if that's the route one would choose to go)?

That's what Advance did with us 16 months ago when the axe fell.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I've been super busy and uncharacteristically off SportsJournalists.com for a few days. I'm so upset to check in and see this news. Just awful. Best of luck to you, Joe, and you, Frank, as well as to your affected colleagues. Dark days.

7. EStreetJoe

What I was told is that the people retained are the only ones they anticipate needing for the consolidated, centralized production.

However if jobs open up with the new company we'd be free to apply for them. However if we're hired less than 4.5 weeks after the Sept. 7 departure we forfeit the 4.5 weeks severance pay we were given.

I thought I was out for good after the buyouts of '08, but I returned three years later. I will not be doing that again.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Same here. I hate stuff like this.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Same here. Heard about this and wanted to offer my well wishes to a couple of fine people who don't deserve this, and to everyone else affected.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

To echo Joe, the editor told me I am not persona non grata in the company. But a couple old friends outside the company already put out feelers.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Man, this purely sucks (FILL IN THE BLANK).

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

prunty's a kid but tom has covered the hell out of college sports forever. unless he's finally departing voluntarily this suck balls. he did a GREAT job and is a GREAT guy. I also hear that my former nfl sidekick dave hutchinson is another casualty.

Draft saved Draft deleted