1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Ledger laying off 40 from newsroom - 170 overall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Frank. Good luck.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Frank, truly sorry to hear it.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Frank and Joe, my best to you both.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear it.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

To those that passed along comments on this to me, thank you.

It's the second time I'm going through this with the same paper. In 2008, when they were threatening to close the paper, I took the buyout offer, thinking in the words of the Steve Miller Band that I'd "take the money and run". Instead of accepting an offer to return part-time, like a handful of co-workers did, I opted to try reinventing myself as a paralegal. Breezed through an ABA-approved program with a 4.0, got hired seven months before graduating and then fired three months after graduating. That was March 2011.

By September 2011, I still hadn't found work and returned to the paper as a part-time copy editor. Since then I have still been unable to find full-time work as a copy editor or a beginner legal assistant/paralegal.

Last spring went back to school (again) for medical billing & coding. Finished up the coursework for the program last month, am on externship now (which ends next week), passed the prestigious CPC certification exam on the first try, and am now looking for work in that field. The news that my income from the paper stops Sept. 7 just means I now have a deadline to get a job in medical billing/coding.

My thinking is that the editing (and reporting) skills -- strong communications, attention to detail, organization, analytic thinking, etc. -- lend themselves perfectly to the billing and coding field, which is supposed to be a growing field.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Best wishes and luck going forward, Joe and Frank.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thinking good thoughts for both of you. Dammit, I hate this business.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good luck, Joe and Frank.

I wonder if the Trenton Times and Trentonian powers that be have talked about the possibility of merging because it would be a smart move on several levels. A city the size of Trenton really doesn't need 2 papers. The Trentonian was born from disgruntled Times employees in '47. Both newsrooms are skeletal these days.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm sad over two losses in one thread. Ugh!

I agree that, long days are ahead at a number of Advance properties. Becoming slaves to clicks cheapens news fast. Journalists start chasing the highs of troll comments and skin-deep dramas.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Frank, my best wishes to you too. Hope everything works out and multiple doors open for ya. ;)

11. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Tom Luicci (per his Twitter) and Brendan Prunty (per Dan Wetzel's) are out.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Frank - Sorry to hear you're also a victim of these damn layoffs

Draft saved Draft deleted