1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Standup comics

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Feb 23, 2007.

?

Who do you think is the best stand-up guy out there?

1. Lewis Black

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. The Blue Collar guys

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Dave Chappelle

10 vote(s)
    14.1%
  4. Bobby Collins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dane Cook

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Jim Gaffigan

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Denis Leary

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Otto & George

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bob Saget

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. None of the above, and you still don't know shit, PhilaYank

36 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

For me the prototypical Grammy moment was in 1977. Stevie Wonder was coming off of a run of owning the Grammys for several years. He was in Nigeria for a huge African music event, a concert that brought together the biggest African music names of the time. The plan was for him to do a song as a live remote during the award show. The first attempt he made, they had an excellent picture but the sound was completely garbled, so they cut away. Tried again, it still wasn't right. On the third attempt, the sound was fine but the video out of whack. IIRC, the feed from the U.S. was out and the Nigerian feed was meh, visible but of poor quality.

Andy Williams was hosting the show. (It's the Grammys in the 70's) He'd been introducing Wonder on the failed attempts, and on this one they had sound going in both directions. "We've got good sound now, Stevie, I can hear you just fine but the picture isn't very good. Can you see me, Stevie?" There's an audible intake of breath from the audience, Wonder's forehead creases as he's visibly thinking "Did he really just ask me that?", and Williams, oblivious, once more goes to commercial voicing the hope that they'll have it fixed when the show came back.

So after the commercial, cue Andy Williams nervously at the podium apologizing and saying that he knew that Wonder was blind, and that what he meant was "Was the video feed working?". A truly stupid and uncomfortable moment in Grammy history.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Probably my favorite Grammy winning comedy record of all time was Richard Pryor's "That Nigger's Crazy", an album that would tie today's Grammy voters into knots. It's pee in your pants funny, but good lord, it's blue and chock full of race jokes. You'd have to go to a Red Foxx or Moms Mabley live record to find a comedy record that was as filthy.

maumann and OscarMadison like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted