1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Standard time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Nov 1, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I hear so many different things regarding DST. Are we going to have it all year round soon or what? I never know what to think or believe.

But yeah, darkness before 6 p.m. is terrible.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

All I know is that last week, the kids around here were having to catch the school bus in the dark ... and that sucks, too.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd just as well do away with time zones, period. Put the whole country on Eastern Standard (or if one must, half on Eastern and half on Mountain). Call it American Time, dammit.

Time zones are quaint and harken back to the days when trains needed to run on time and every town had its own noon based on where the sun was.

4. JackReacher

I loved some Central Standard Time. Sadly, that lasted only two years. I call it the perfect time zone, but I may be underestimating Mountain time.

5. Football_Bat

Central Time (a/k/a God's Time) is all I've lived in -- in the U.S. It's nice getting all the East Coast games in by about 9 p.m. If a West Coaster goes fast enough we can squeeze them in.

I'm no fan of waiting up to 11 for late local news ET and PT. I'm conditioned for 10 CT. (I don't know what Mountain Time, the bastard of time zones, does.)

6. JackReacher

FB...you can never appreciate CST until you live on the East Coast. But your points stand.

I'd like to live on Pacific time for a year, maybe two, just to experience it. You know, 9 a.m. college football, 10 a.m. NFL. Silly.

7. Football_Bat

When I was in Europe, 7 p.m. CT games started at 2 a.m. on AFN. The Super Bowl started after midnight. But noon games were in prime time over there.

For the other extreme, I'd guess Hawaii would be cool — unless you were hauling ass home to catch MNF at 3:30 in the afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

DVR is a must if you're living in Hawaii. I would always watch PTI at 11:30 a.m. before running off to work.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Give me year-round saving time. Being dark at 8 a.m. in December/January might suck, but I could get used to it.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I don't know, man. I was in college the year they experimented with year-round DST because of the oil shortage (1974, I think), and getting up to make an 8 a.m. history class in the dark wasn't much fun.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great album.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Getting up to make an 8 a.m. history class in the light isn't much fun either.

Draft saved Draft deleted