1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff writer, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside, Calif.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Dave_Ammenheuser, Apr 4, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gosh, you inspire me.

I hope this post is still accessible via Google come the day you realize what a fucking tool you sound like.

2. Actually, it isn't false, because I was referring to what happened that allowed me to get my first job. I was very happy there and was in no rush to leave, but a good opportunity presented itself. But I got that chance in Idaho because I was smart enough to ignore the people who said not to take a certain internship. Not taking it means not getting the job in Idaho and not getting my current job. It's all connected. To quote Return of the Jedi, what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.

And BYH, thanks for always making your posts so ridiculous that I know never to take you seriously. Comes full circle with my point.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someone who doesn't like to Tweet b/c someone once started a fake Twitter in his "honor" doesn't take me seriously. Not sure you're old enough to appreciate the irony in that, but whatever, I'll get by somehow, thanks.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It may be true in a certain sense, but boiling your comment down to that base seems to trivialize it in many ways. Does following your dream really just mean taking an unpaid internship at a mid-sized paper parts of the SJ community disparage? I think it means more than that, and have to believe you do as well.

Beyond that, it seems silly to say that your one decision set off some sort of chain reaction. Obviously without that first job, you never end up where you are. But all the things in between are really what make your experience noteworthy. A lot of fresh-faced college kids get hired at papers around 17K circ, far fewer make it up the next step of the ladder. Where you are today represents a complex mosaic of factors. The choice to "follow your heart" is one of them, but far from the whole reason you landed where you have. Lots of these curmudgeons followed their hearts, and ended up with situations they found unpleasant. Just saying it's not an all or nothing thing.

And turning to that Star Wars quote. I could say I got where I am today becuase of whatever I did to beef up my resume, the hard work and poorly paid/unpaid internships I did or some other factors. Or I could say I'm where I am today (not a particularly glamorous job, but not the pits) becuase of my car, as it got me from home to a new town. Both are true in certain lights, but one pertains in some way to a discussion of early sports writing careers, and the other is just flippant.

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Hope this wasn't one of the jobs cut.

6. Traveling

Traveling Member

Three-week old employees never get the ax in this kind of situation. In this instance, 24 employees total, three of which were in the newsroom -- a city reporter and two web staffers.

http://reporter-g.blogspot.com/2011/06/press-enterprise-publisher-announces.html

7. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Never say never. Had a friend who got the ax after three months. Not quite the same, but close.

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

What about his post is "toolish?" I don't get it.

And congrats, Will.

9. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Seconded.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'd like to thank the newbie for a lecture on how we should act on a message board. Yep, no need to tell the truth here because your life is fine and dandy.

Enjoy the Inland Empire, which is at least a step up from Bakersfield.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It's a great job, I'm sure he will.

Congrats, Will.

Draft saved Draft deleted