1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff writer, Tampa Bay Lightning/St. Pete Times Forum

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Sep 4, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Communications: Writer/Editorial

Staff Writer - Tampa Bay Lightning/St. Pete Times Forum (Tampa, Fl)

Job Summary:
    This position will provide majority of the written content for tampabaylightning.com, focusing on comprehensive game previews and post-game recaps for every Tampa Bay Lightning home and away games.

Primary Responsibilities:
    --Edit all written content posted on tampabaylightning.com and sptimesforum.com and associated weekly newsletters
    --Report all breaking news focusing on the team for tampabaylightning.com, quoting players, coaches and management
    --Write informational daily blog aimed at providing the most up-to-date, inside information on the team and its players
    --Develop, coordinate and copy edit a team of internal bloggers, including broadcasters, players, coaches and management
    --Work closely with Lightning's media relations and marketing departments and nhl.com's editorial staff to create and follow relevant storylines for the team and its players
    --Write daily features on the Lightning, its players, prospects and minor league affiliates
    --Work with video production staff on the creation and development of video content for tampabaylightning.com
    --Maintain and refresh regular website elements including fan polls, player Q and A's, and player mailbags
    --Develop and maintain the Tampa Bay Lightning's twitter and facebook pages, utilizing marketing opportunities to increase fan affinity
    --Develop a Tampa Bay Lightning community corner, featuring feature stories on the Lightning in the community and The Lightning Foundation

Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Qualifications:
    --B.S./B.A. degree in related field
    --Minimum 3-4 years experience in sports writing, editing or public relations.
    --Knowledge of local, state and federal regulations in relevant field.
    --Willing to work varying hours inclusive of nights, weekends an holidays

http://tampanhl.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/r.cfm?i=25561

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The tie-in with the St. Pete Times has me scratching my head. Any idea what that's about?

3. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

My uneducated guess is, when there's down time, you write releases and such for other events the arena hosts. I don't think this job is actually affiliated with the paper.

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Exactly right. St. Pete Times Forum is the name of the arena. There is no affiliation between this job and the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted