1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff Writer, D.C. United

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by imjustagirl, Dec 18, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Working for the team site, but could be a good job for someone who's in the area and knows soccer. Don't know the pay range; wouldn't even have a guess.

http://mls.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/r.cfm?i=40872

2. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I interviewed for the same position with another team in the league. It was non negotiable 30k as of three years ago.

3. imjustagirl

I think it depends on the team. You can't live near DC on 30K, but maybe near Salt Lake.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A friend works at a free weekly in the Washington suburbs, and his starting salary was $28,000 $28,500 a year. But I would hope United would pay more than a free weekly newspaper.

5. imjustagirl

That saddens me. Greatly.

6. Did he have to absolve himself of covering homeless issues as he, too, was homeless?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I should apologize for misleading everyone. He tells me he started at $28,500, though mostly because he had previous experience. . .

Well played.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you could live in Culpeper and commute. Especially if you like pounding beers in the comfort of your own garage.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Commute from Culpeper to DC? That sounds like a miserable existence.

10. Could easily do it in Salt Lake. Not a hope in hell of doing so in D.C.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To be clear: We don't have any real idea what the salary will be for this position. And it's a good position for someone looking to get/who was knocked out of newspapers.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You could get by on $28K in southeast D.C. Surviving is another matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted