1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff sizes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Justin Biebler, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

Just curious as to staff sizes out there, especially for small to medium-sized newspapers. I saw on the jobs board that a small daily in Hillsdale, Mich. has an SE, some stringers and that's it.
    We're a 20,000 circulation, six-day a week family owned paper with an SE and three full-time guys who do some desk work, writing and online stuff. We also have a part-timer and two Friday night guys for 30 high schools and a local NCAA Division II program.
    What do you have?

2. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

The size of your staff doesn't matter ... it's how you work it ;D

(Sorry ...)

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

4 full-timers...at least 2 part-timers for agate/phones every night except Sundays. A designer who does the front 3 nights a week but can't write headlines or copy edit. Part-timers string sometimes too.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Sadly, we're down to three full-timers (one preps, one SE, one mid-major university beat writer) and one part-timer (purely an office guy, mainly agate). Wish I could say we're servicing a small community newspaper, but we're at a 45K circ paper located in a college city surrounded by 40-something high schools within a 30-mile radius.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Small 6-day daily.

Publisher
    Managing Editor
    Sports Editor
    Obit Editor
    Reporter
    Photographer
    Internet/Online editor

I'm the only one who can do everyone else's job.
    Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- wants to do sports, though the Online Ed does when I'm (rarely) away.
    The Online Ed also is the No. 2 reporter.
    I'm the "unofficial" assistant managing editor, which basically means that the publisher or I fill in for ME when she's away. I also copy edit and change and clean up the front from Quark to Indesign (because ME doesn't want to learn Indesign).

Needless to say, when more than one person is out, the place goes to hell. And nobody has had a raise at least since I've been here, and I'm told many years before that.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm at a 20K, 7-day daily. We cover a fairly large (geographic) county that's growing population-wise, too. Family owned.

Our newsroom has the ME, city editor, six reporters, two photogs, four copy deskers, sports editor and two sportswriters (one of whom mostly does layout).

And regarding my "personal" staff ... none of your business! :D

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

We're a 90ishk, 120k on Sundays. In sports, we have seven reporters, five deskers, an SE and an ASE. So 14. Huge by today's standards.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

12k circ., three-to-five sports pages a day, six days a week

Two guys on staff working five-day weeks, doing all layout and writing. We have two staff photographers.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I work at a 150K circulation daily, and we have 20 full-time staffers, though two are "shared" (one is our online guy but is more part of the online desk, the other is a preps writer who also does what we like to call community journalism). We also have three part-timers and two regular correspondents.

I think we're doing pretty well, but most of my colleagues who have been around longer would probably disagree.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Probably a more interesting thread would be, what's your staff size now and what was your staff size five years ago? I'd imagine in the last five years, our staffs have all taken a tremendous hit.

For example, at our place, we had six full-timers (SE, ASE, two prep writers, one college beat writer, one general assignment) and four part-timers (two rotating agate guys and two general assignment/desk).

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

20K-ish six-day daily. Three full-timers, one part-timer.

12. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

that's not bad...I'm sure you're still feeling a pinch, but not bad for the new reality we're all dealing with.

I'm a three days a week paper with me and a part-timer, if I beg I can bring in a freelancer for playoffs. 10K circ with nine high schools and a junior college.

Draft saved Draft deleted