1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff opening, Macon, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Daniel Shirley, Apr 28, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

WTF? Here we go with the bullshit. Let's get a few things straight. 1, the Telegraph is a good place. 2, Shirley did a good job in Albany and has done a good job since taking over for Nolte. 3, It's nice to see a good position opening at a decent paper. I've never been big on McClatchy but it is nice to see that they have opened the purse strings to give the go ahead to make a hire. 4, It does get the boots seal of approval.
    Now, anything negative about what I have just written, is bullshit. Hopefully, this will end a shit storm before one develops. Thanks. boots

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Boots, there will always be smart-asses on this board. That's never going to change.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and don't forget the dumbasses

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Lots and lots of dumbasses.

5. SethEmerson

SethEmerson New Member

Anyway ... My own personal testament, there aren't many better bosses than Daniel Shirley. He's fair, let's you do your job, is firm when he needs to be, and knows his stuff. And I'm not just saying that because I owe him $25.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Nice to see some McClatchy papers don't have to sit on open desk jobs.

Others, well, ya get the drift...................

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

As a former employee of the paper, I can say a few things.

First, the staff (in fact the whole newsroom) was made up of about 95% good people to work with. People that knew how to do their jobs well and were willing to work with other departments to put out a good product. The other 5%? Well, I'll be nice since most of them there know my handle on here.

Second, Danny is a great guy, having dealt with him numerous times while he was in Albany. I've never worked for him, but I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about him.

Macon is an interesting town. You're an hour from the ATL and about another 20-30 minutes from north Atlanta. Augusta is two hours away, Savannah is a little more than two hours away. Tampa is about six, Jacksonville about four. Charlotte is about the same.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

Oh, and good luck, Dipper. Hope that publishing deal works out. Shoot me a line sometime and let's tee it up.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Any town with a Carrabba's can't be all bad.

9. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Used to have a Fuddruckers here too, but it closed a few months ago.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

The Fuddruckers in Athens only last about a year.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

They don't make some of their papers sit on open (any) jobs...

< / cranky >

12. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

What specifically merits these assorted seals of approval?

Draft saved Draft deleted