1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff meetings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Holy shit. It gets worse.

Next you're going to tell me they're vegans with matching bluetooths.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've had this same problem with my current employer. We have one person who has to ask 70 freaking questions. Understanding that clarification sometimes helps, she's bordering on a human rain delay.

Nice people, though. In that respect, it doesn't make me as sad to forget this isn't a newsroom.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm happy you get to ask those questions. I would, but I know what the answers are.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

We have one guy who asks questions that apply only to him, and another guy who asks questions that no one but him understands. We also have one manager who calls meetings where people ask questions that elicit answers that completely undermine his points, which is actually quite amusing.

5. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

This description sounds like the typical staff meeting. Some people in there like to prolong the meeting because it takes them away from actual work. These same people think that asking lots of questions will impress the editor or head honcho. It doesn't.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

We used to have management meetings which usually consisted of nothing more than the publisher pontificating or complaining or bitching someone out.

The funniest moment about all of that was the time the CEO (his wife) looked at me and we rolled our eyes at him.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I worked at Harper Collins for a number of years and the Prez was meeting happy.

We once had a meeting to discuss our upcoming meeting schedule.

8. lono

lono Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Mike Hargrove knows what you're talking about.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Today's state-of-the company meeting included a 2-hour presentation, then 38 minutes of questions (I timed that part of the meeting).
    There weren't many questions, maybe a half-dozen or so, and the guy who usually holds us all hostage with one question or interjection after another didn't open his mouth (thankfully). What made that part of the meeting last 38 minutes was not so much the questions, but the answers. They were all rather long-winded and rambling and both guys who were running the meeting weighed in with their own answer to each question.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I had an hour-long meeting to suffer through this past week. I was literally suffering with a migraine that was just starting. All I did was stare at the table i front of me.

12. silentbob

silentbob Member

Call a meeting with a bunch of reporters and you can probably expect a question or six.

Draft saved Draft deleted