1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Staff editor, CBS SportsLine.com

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Craig_Stanke, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I'm another of the guys who got one of my first jobs at SportsLine and the experience was the best and worst of my career. Best in that it was great learning experience; worst because they work you into the carpet. Glad I did it, made a lot of great friends and contacts and then moved on to better things, like many, many others who worked there.

As for salary, they picked me up from a mid-sized daily and paid me 5k more than I was making. If they low-balled me, I didn't know and didn't care as I didn't have to move. I make considerably more now, so it worked out just fine.

As for salary in this profession, it's a buyer's market and if you don't make yourself valuable, you'll never be valuable. If you're at the stage of your career that you'd be interested in Stanke's gig, you really don't care about salary as much as other factors. If you have a grad degree (or kids, quite frankly), you really should not be interested in Stanke's gig. It's that simple. And anybody with an iota of common sense in this business should know pretty well which jobs pay well and which jobs do not based simply on the posting.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Do you mean EAs at those places?

3. cincyguy2

cincyguy2 New Member

Another former SportsLine guy here (although no longer in Cincy, but it's an alternate handle I remember having :)) ... and I echo the comments by others that Craig Stanke is "the man" ... also Mark Swanson is a great guy and a really good boss to work for. South Florida isn't for everyone, but this is a good place to work, great experience, good people ... ok, the pay might not be great (I'm going to guess the going rate might be $30K-$40K) but if you want to live near a beach (and since you'll be worknig nights, you'll have plenty of time to go there :)), this is the gig for you.

I honestly can't speak any more highly about the place. I might be still working there if it were not in South Florida (sorry, Stanke, wanted my kids to get a good education).

If anyone wants more info about the place, just post it here and I'll have to PM you in my "real" user ID.

Draft saved Draft deleted