1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Pete, err, Tampa Bay Times, cuts pay, people

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1HPGrad, Oct 6, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Re: St. Pete cuts pay, people

Does it really cost $7,000 to fly to Australia?

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

It's amazing how much money sports departments used to waste, the Olympics being at the top of my list at each previous stop. Miami would send an editor to coordinate its Olympic coverage.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Those were the days. Amazing indeed.

4. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

You would eat your own face if you knew how much money my paper spent on the 1996 Atlanta Games -- travel, housing, meals, incidentals. (Accounting didn't even blink an eye at a $600 bar tab.) Those were the last of the good ol' days, although we never would have guessed it way back then.

I felt bad that we could only send one reporter to Nagano in 1998 (and later Sydney '00, Salt Lake City '02, and Athens '04, after I left the company), but the suits put an end to any Olympic travel after that ... and probably forever.

Now my alma mater struggles to cover a prep football game outside the metro area.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Anyone ever heard the stories of USA Today's Olympics trips? I know USA Today takes a lot of pride in Olympic coverage, and it's definitely the place to go for that coverage. But I can't help but wonder why "The Nation's Newspaper" invests so much in an international event. If USA Today editors did serious paring down of Olympic expenses, they could probably have a reporter at two-thirds of the NFL's regular-season games.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Actually the Olympics would be an event where USA Today could and should dominate. They're serving a national audience that's usually squarely in the corner of one or two teams or competitors.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

You could buy a roundtrip ticket today from NY to Sydney for $2,000. And airfares are probably much higher today than during the Sydney Games.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I should have said, "It was more than twice the price of my ticket to Australia."

My Sydney ticket was around $1800. I just remember we were joking at the time that for just another $1800 more we could cover three more preseason NBA games.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

USA Today has sent writers to Lausanne and Rio De Janiero to write 12 inches total.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Imagine how much money newspapers could have invested, and should have invested, in research and development simply by reducing travel spending from "exorbitant" to "generous."

11. Re: St. Pete cuts pay, people

The Dallas Morning News had a coordinating editor on site in Athens and Beijing and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they send him to London with their crew of writers and columnists despite the recent round of layoffs.

12. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I would. I'd be just as surprised if they sent a "crew." I think those days are over. This is why you have AP, wires, partnerships. Send a columnist to hit Dirk and the boys and the day's big or best story. That's plenty. It's really difficult to justify doing more than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted