1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Pete CBS affiliate seeks 'citizen journalists'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jul 9, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I haven't decided quite how I feel about this, but I think I'm leaning toward "WTF?" out of a field of that, "gah!" and "you have got to be kidding me."

http://blogs.tampabay.com/media/2008/07/wtsp-ch-10-seek.html

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Hey, I'm available!

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But can you get by on "TWENTY DOLLARS!"?

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

you gotta be fuckn kiddin me!

5. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

That's part of the problem right there. Calling people Citizen journalists, so anyone with a cell phone can potentially be a journalist. They should be honest and just say we need people who can take a picture, so we don't have to pay professionals to do it.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So your "end of the deal" is just 40 clips in a year, right, and you get the camera? There's no quota on how many clips *have* to make a broadcast or the web?

Sounds like a great opportunity to put the tripod in the backyard and submit 40 clips of the grass growing. You know someone will try that, then threaten a lawsuit if the station refuses to cough up the camera.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

what he said, for sure

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Good God, is that stupid.

I would hope that the managers at my station agree with me... but the managers have all been fired and haven't been replaced yet, so I probably don't have anything to worry about.

To be honest, I'm astonished any station would have that kind of money to piss away right now. The "content" will be absolutely worthless.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Doesn't bode well for the current camera guys at Tampa Bay's 10.

Or perhaps the station just got a batch of new cameras and isn't sure what to do with the old ones. Attack, Junior Zapruders, attack!

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Management couldn't get away with this in a unionized workplace, could they?

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

OK, that was fucking funny.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I feel like violently throwing up every time I hear the oxymoron "Citizen Journalist."

At least CNN calls them "iReporters."

Draft saved Draft deleted