1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Mary's, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pops, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Pops

Pops Member

Shooting a little high here, aren't we fellas?

Company: The Evening Leader
    Position:
    Seeking sports writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    January 9, 2007
    Job ID: 709136

Description:
    The Evening Leader newspaper, a six-day afternoon publication with a paid circulation of more than 5,000, located in Northwest Ohio, has an immediate opening for an aggressive sports reporter with experience in photography to cover local sports. Excellent writing skills using AP Style and the ability to think critically and convey thoughts clearly are required. Proficiency in QuarkXPress and PhotoShop necessary. An interest in sports feature writing would be a plus. Please send a cover letter, resume, references and clips to Managing Editor Tom Wehrhahn, The Evening Leader, 102 E. Spring St., St. Marys, OH 45885, or e-mail to editor@theeveningleader.com.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Maybe it's me, but this sounds like an entry level job.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey, it never says how much experience or proficiency... just that it's there...

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

In a sea of boring farmland, the St. Mary's region of Ohio (around Lake St. Mary's) is quite nice. Don't know anything about the paper, but there are worse towns.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The top story in yesterday's Evening Leader is the opening of a Noble Roman pizza place next to the Kroger (second sentence: "The restaurant held it's grand opening Tuesday when local officials and the public celebrated.").

Now correct me if I'm not correct, but isn't Noble Roman like some gross as shit gas station pizzeria? The only way Noble Roman gets on my front page is if they're banned by God or something.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i think St. Marys has a good football team, though.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Hey, 5,000 people can't be wrong.

8. Definitely an entry level job which has not always provided the entry to bigger and better things in journalism for the people who have held it. But One former SE from the 1970s is at the Columbus Dispatch. Another from the 1980s works for the Dayton Daily News. A couple ex-SE's have snagged pretty good PR jobs. Not the worst paper, but far from the best. Probably eight or nine sports editors in the last 10 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted