1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

St. Louis Post-Dispatch drops George Will from rotation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Jun 19, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I believe it can be considered rape, yes.

And I believe a huge part of the problem is that a lot of people put a lot of effort into finding something or someone other than the rapist to blame.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That the young man mentioned in Will's column even attempted to have sex* -- without getting a clear go-ahead in advance -- was, by the Swarthmore handbook, rape.

More in line with the thread, however, is the question of how long Philadelphia Magazine is going to allow Sandy Hingston to stay on the slut-shaming beat:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/03/24/nations-largest-rape-victim-advocacy-group-sez-rape-culture-duh/

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/01/31/football-players-college-sexual-violence-title-ix-temple/

*I'll refresh your memory:

3. doctorquant

I always liked Megan McArdle until it was pointed out to me that she's a slut-shamer:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-05-05/rape-on-campus-belongs-in-the-courts

4. MisterCreosote

You can create a cogent argument about college-campus jurisdiction without slapping rape victims in the face like George Will did.

5. doctorquant

Sheesh, and here's another of these slut-shamers ... at Slate, of all places:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/10/sexual_assault_and_drinking_teach_women_the_connection.html

When is the media going to clean up its act re: slut-shaming?

6. doctorquant

Wondering if we should start a new slut-shaming thread ... might be warranted in the Journalism section ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/opinion/sunday/douthat-rape-and-the-college-brand.html?_r=0

7. MisterCreosote

That is ridiculous.

You know what THE common denominator in EVERY rape case is? A fucking rapist.

No one, anywhere, at any time has ever mentioned that getting drunk impairs judgement. ::)

And, even though it does, bringing that up as a primary factor in sexual assaults once again takes the blame off the assaulter (as if men can't fucking control themselves around drunk vulnerable women).

Actually, that's pretty much the textbook definition of blaming the victim.

The old, "I'm not saying ... but ..." routine!

[​IMG]

What none of this bullshit you're posting addresses is that part of sexual assault is not just force, but the threat of force, which is omnipresent for women in ways that men simply cannot understand.

Since men cannot understand it, they apparently turn themselves into the "real" victims, or deflect blame elsewhere.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You are making an assumption that every one of these cases is a rape, because one side says it is a rape (often many weeks or months after the fact).

Not sure if that's what you believe, but that's how you come off.

9. MisterCreosote

I'm inclined to believe that more often than not because very few rape accusations are dismissed for being false. They're dismissed on technicalities. Also, see my comment above about the THREAT of force.

And, I'm a man. I know how men think, feel and sometimes act. The difference is I can fucking control myself, even if (GASP!) a woman is drunk in my vicinity. :eek:

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whew. Well, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that.

You're working under an idea of what rape is that I don't think matches the reality from college activists anymore.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You know, it is possible for someone to shoulder part of the blame WITHOUT removing it from someone else.

Let's say my kid is an unbuckled passenger in my car and another car runs a red light, slams into us and throws my kid out of the car, killing him. The car who ran the red light IS RESPONSIBLE for the accident. But I'M RESPONSIBLE for my kid's death for not seeing to it that he was buckled up.

12. MisterCreosote

Right. We all know car crashes are activities meant to be consensual.

Also, would stricter seat-belt laws get people to stop running red lights?

Draft saved Draft deleted