1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Spygate] Easterbrook routs Simmons, King, PFT, etc. --> UPDATE: PFT responds

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: [Spygate] Easterbrook routs Simmons, King, PFT, etc. --> UPDATE: PFT respon

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Thanks for the nautical shoutout, Doc. The many heroic contributions of the jgmacg navy to the battle of the Alamo have been sorely overlooked by historians.

But while we have everyone's attention, I'd like to remind them to visit their local J-navy recruiter. America needs you now more than ever. Thank you.

[​IMG]

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

The DK Coast Guard is calling out the J Navy, bro! We got mad peeps with killer stylo!

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You can't see the Inky Black Ops, but we're watching you.

6. Glory-o, glory-o, to the bold Fenian men.
    Proveably.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Thanks for stopping by, BostonBred. Since I don't really want to type out your name as I address you, I'll just use a shorter, randomly-chosen name to refer to you instead. Hmmm. How about "Bill?" So thanks for stopping by, Bill. And if you ever come into contact with that Sports Guy Bill, please thank him for using my old MySpace headline in that one column of his after I pumped him up here on SJ.

That was nice of him.

It's ok, we know you desperately want Spygate to go away. Sorry it can't, because of the actions of Belicheat and Commissioner Goodell.

It should be noted, however, that the well-intentioned Goodell was 'set-up' for the fall in this ongoing scandal ONLY because of Belicheat's actions; that is, though he has misstepped in his light punishment of Belicheat and the Cheatriots, and very mistakenly destroyed evidence of the Cheatriots' repetitive illegalities, he was put in a bad position by The Cheater who is still, mysteriously, employed by Kraft even though Kraft's public image continues to increasingly wither as long as the scandal continues unresolved and Kraft does not terminate Belicheat.

What is absolutely ironic and fitting is that the better The Cheats do this year, the more attention will be drawn to: the unresolved scandal; Belicheat's failure to provide details or show contrition to anyone not affiliated with The Cheatriots or the league office (in other words, to the millions of defrauded, paying customers); and Goodell's inappropriate decision to destroy the evidence of the illegalities as well as his non-elaboration of the extent and depth of the illegalities by Belicheat and The Cheatriots. So if the Cheats end up at 15-0 and going for the undefeated season, not only might the Dolphins be waiting with champagne, so might Jackie Chiles or whomever will be representing "Joe NFL Fan" as his surrogate, Carl Mayer, pursues actual justice in this sordid, disappointing, League- and Super Bowl-staining affair.

Oh, and Bill: If you do ever run into Sports Guy Bill, please tell him I said to take notes on writing from Easterbrook. He is Mr. Miyagi to Sports Guy Bill's Daniel-san.

Fenian: No worries. As I have quoted here before, Napoleon counseled on the wisdom in not stopping one's opponent from immolating himself/herself. Well, that's a paraphrase, but I know you understand my point.

Songbird: I think things are pretty much up for grabs as goes a message board. More honest writers tend to intimate that they got their, um, 'inspiration' from other sources. But I think most writers with the acclaim of a Peter King or a Mike Lupica are hesitant to cite "Joe Blogger" (who does, coincidentally, share the same first name as the aforementioned "Joe NFL Fan") as their point of departure for a column. This blurring of lines between old and new media has resulted in increasing scrutiny of intellectual property legal theory and practice. It's still a developing area. You can find all manner of complaints of material being lifted from every corner of the internet. As long as the 'big boys' are allowed to play professor to the blogger/message boarder' research assistant, they will, IMO. It comes down to intellectual honesty and the ability of someone who's material has been lifted without attribution being able to expose the lifter and/or demonstrate via a lawsuit or complaint that his/her work was, in fact, so used without permission.

As many of you might figure, I have plenty of material to add to this thread, including an elaboration of what I believe occurred in the instance of King's decision to comment on Easterbrook's last Tuesday's TMQB in the article jcmacg excerpted (MMQB). Let's just say I think Peter felt a bit 'nudged' to include a discussion of Easterbrook's piece. Other relevant developments on the Spygate front include the Jets fans' lawsuit, more from PFT.com on the matter, Scoop Jackson's take, and plenty of other columns, discussion and reaction.

And I haven't even read Easterbrook's TMQB from today.

I'll update the thread (or you can update it yourself, as jcmacg did with King's piece) as time allows. Just haven't had time to do it yet.

Suffice to say, the scandal is ongoing. And with the lawsuit pending, it could dramatically heat-up within the next month. But even if a judge tosses out that suit, all of the unanswered questions will remain. Just as Easterbrook's brilliant piece last week laid out, and as many southwest of New England are only too aware.

You don't mess around with the USA's #1 sport and think with a mere wave of the cutoff-hoodied hand it's all going to disappear. Does not work like that. People are rightfully pissed-off, and aspiring journalists and reporters still need their 'breakthrough' story to make their careers.

So, because of Belicheat, the beat goes on with Spygate.

And Easterbrook is, by miles and miles, well ahead of the field. Particularly ahead of those who are playing ostrich with their heads hopefully in the sand.

You don't know any of those people, do you Sports Guy Bill (if this column ever reaches your eyes and/or if the here-chosen-randomly-to-be-named "Bill," BostonBred, ever does meet you and relays this and my other questions from this post to you)?

Right -- of course not.

PS: Bill, please remind Sports Guy Bill (SGB), if you ever meet him, that Skip Bayless is still receiving well-deserved high-fives from people in all areas of the country for his 2006 NBA playoffs column which basically shook Sports Guy Bill to his core harder than a Kelly Pavlik right hand shook former champion Jermain Taylor this past Saturday night in Atlantic City. In case anyone needs any refreshing of what I speak:

1. Sports Guy Bill's ill-advised premature columnization which sought to reinforce SGB's inane choice of Kobe as 2005-2006 NBA MVP instead of eventual (and proper) winner, Steve Nash:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2429774&type=story

2. Skip Bayless rhetorical smackdown on SGB's (not to be confused with either the Packers' KGB or the USSR's KGB) metaphorical candy ass of a column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2434186&type=story

As you might expect from an NBA sage as myself, I have commented on this Sports Guy Bill drubbing at the hands of Skip Bayless here on SJ. Perhaps that will serve as the next "Classic Rok" link in my signature when I have time to look up the link.

Until then, you can enjoy Bayless' ownage of Sports Guy Bill with no commentary (and none is required) from The Rok.

Dan Rather, I am told, insists on having his CBS job back after he read Sports Guy Bill's column (yep, Rather hits the SGB archives like the rest of us and apparently just got to SGB's May 2, 2006 gem) and then found out, to his surprise, that SGB still is employed by ESPN.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

WTF? Or rather, WTF?

9. Dangerous_K

Oh. My. God.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

RokSki touting Skip "I was run out of Chicago on a rail because I'm such a shitty writer" Bayless tells me all I need to know about his writing tastes, or lack thereof.

11. Dangerous_K

I'm much more amazed by the accusation that bostonbred is Bill Simmons. I...wow. Really don't know what to say.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What is it about this site that attracts these fucking freaks?

Sweet jesus, man, up the dosage. You've lost all touch with reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.