1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spurrier reported headed to Miami.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jimmy Olson, Nov 19, 2006.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Exactly. I heard the same shit from Urban Meyer four years ago.

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The guy's not going anywhere. If you covered him at UF you'd know he was never willing to make definitive statements on the subject of future jobs. Never once did he say something like "I'll be here as long as they'll have me." because he knew it wasn't true. If he says what he said today, he means it. Spurrier's an odd guy, but he won't let himself look like a liar on something like this. In addition, the people arouund him who know say it's all crap. I'll put 50 bucks for charity against anyone here who wants to wager it that Spurrier will not be the next head football coach at UM. PM me if you'd like to accept.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

biggest myth in college football/golf: That Spurrier got an Augusta membership with his coaching job at SC. Didn't happen. Augusta National doesn't work that way and no one at South Carolina is in a position to offer that kind of perk. That said, with Frank Broyles and Lou Holtz as members, I think Spurrier can get on there now and then.

4. healingman

healingman Guest

Ole Ball Coach ... yep, still stirring the pot. Even when he's not on it.

5. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

Be careful by capitalizing "Ole Ball Coach", you might make buckybeaver cry.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the line forms to watch that..... where?

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It's not news until ESPN says it's news.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

And, dammit, it's "Head Ball Coach." Steve Superior hates the "Ol' Ball Coach" nickname.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Hootie made it clear that the SS Offense wasn't going to get a membership for nothing. My guess is that he's played there a time or 243, but he's not a member.
    Membership or not, it doesn't matter. Steve Spurrier could go anywhere and be a god -- except Miami. One of the reasons he was so huge in the Swamp was fan base. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to stomach 44,000 people in the stands some week playing against B.C., Duke, or NorCar.
    He has 84k every week, and he loves the hell out of it.
    And there just happens to be a little $200M cap improvement project at SoCar announced in the past few weeks.
    Then again, wtf do I know.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

What does Darius Rucker have to do with this?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That was my first thought when I heard this rumor.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are there many big-time college coaches who would even acknowledge interest in another job before another coach has been fired?

It would surprise me if this has happened, and far be it for me to defend the initial report on ESPN, but it was only reported that Miami was interested in Spurrier, not that Spurrier was interested in Miami...

Draft saved Draft deleted