1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sprinter reignites debate over correlation between race, speed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Jul 26, 2010.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Even if he has no intention of taking part in the debate himself:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jul/26/european-championships-christophe-lemaitre

Kid came a few years too late for Jimmy the Greek, unfortunately.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm beginning to get excited for the 100 and 200 meter dashes at the 2012 olympics; and this only ads to it. As dominant as Usain Bolt was and still is, I'm not convinced that he can't be beaten.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

You realize Bolt's record is 9.58 and this kid ran 9.98...that's a huge difference in a 100.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not discussing it would only be ignoring the pink elephant in the room. Nobody of non-African descent has ever run that fast before. It's the only thing that made the race noteworthy and no doubt the first thing everybody who saw it thought about. I don't see anything particularly Greek-ish about addressing the obvious.

As for the "old and controversial debate", I think all of us who've played sports or been paying attention over the years know the obvious answer. At least how it works out on average. As for "why", who cares? It is what it is. "Why" is a question best left unanswered. And those who've tried are the ones who've fucked up their careers with ignorant Greek type statements.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The answers are: 1. Generally, yes. 2. Nobody knows.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who's the fastest player in Major League Baseball?

I'm having a hard time thinking of someone faster than Brett Gardner.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its all about the time put in.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hell with that. It's a fascinating question. It just needs to be answered by scientists.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Doesn't count. He is a Euro.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The problem is, there's a long, shameful history of racist pseudo-science that has poisoned the well. John Hoberman's "Darwin's Athletes" covered that topic quite thoroughly.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Nyjer Morgan.
    Andrew McCutcheon.
    Ellsbury (when he's not crying about his ribs).
    Emilio Bonafacio.

Draft saved Draft deleted