1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen -- We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Fthehat--
    Excellent comparison to Bromberg who, if he could just sing a little, would have been a major star.
    "Send Me To The 'Lectric Chair" is still in heavy rotation at F_B World HQ.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would compare him more to Buster Pondexter.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Washington Post did a long profile on him earlier this month -- he's a collector of rare violins in Delaware....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/05/AR2006040502604.html

4. A collector of rare violins in Delaware.
    It's the details that make great writing.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bruce just put up on his site a new song which he's been playing, but which isn't on the CD -- "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live". Kind of a reworked version of an old song. It's at http://www.brucespringsteen.net/site.html

6. Webster

Bumping this old thread up for the Bruce freaks. The day after each of 18 concerts on the US Tour, AOL music is showing a video clip of a different song filmed the night before. Pretty cool.

http://music.aol.com/photo-galleries/18-nights-bruce-springsteen-seeger-tour?ncid=AOLMUS00050000000046

7. this_guy

this_guy Guest

Any chance we get a second leg to this tour, and Bruce makes a few trips down south.

8. Webster

Not sure. He's having a blast, but he can't be making that much money.

9. this_guy

this_guy Guest

It seems like the descriptions on backstreets.com are always of half-empty arenas.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Wow, what a great job he did with that - took a pretty good jab at W. in the process. Go Bruce!

11. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Caught his concert last week and he rocked. Only problem was he only drew about 4,000 folks, and made a comment about it early in the show. Something to the effect of "we may be small, but we're mighty."
    The next night, Dave Matthews put 21,000 in the same venue, and then did it again the following night. Seems like us Bruce lovers are decreasing by the day. Of course, at $75 a pop for the cheapest seats, we're a well-heeled bunch.
    Came home hoarse from all the singing..."Pay Me My Money Down" was the highlight for me...He also did "When the Saints Go Marching In" in unique Bruce style. And when someone threw a stuffed Frog on stage, he audibled and sand "When Froggie Went a Courtin." Great time had by all.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A full-fledged E Street Band tour would still sell out, wall-to-wall, instantly.

There's just a limit to the number of people who will shell out big bucks to hear Bruce's rendition of Seeger's well-worn songbook.

Seeger is great -- the missing link between Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan -- but nowhere near the stature of either, or for that matter, near the stature of Bruce Springsteen himself.

It'd kinda be like Paul McCartney going on tour to perform his renditions of the Eric Carmen songbook. ::) ::)

BTW, I had tickets to go, but Mr. Publisher put the kibosh on my personal-day request. Well, that happens in the world of grownups.

Draft saved Draft deleted