1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy this side of John Rocker. DB! Good bye and good luck to you selling canned goods.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Cliffy and Morse are like brothers.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Cliff Floyd: brother.
    Michael Morse: Florida cracker.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Lonnie Chisenhall and Matt LaPorta farmed out by Cleveland.

A little suprising that a bad spring could knock either one out of a job in Cleveland.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Chisenhall I agree with you, but LaPorta — in addition to being a colossal flop — is a man without a position. He can't play the outfield, and Kotchman and Hafner are entrenched at first base and DH.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What would it cost the Pirates to get LaPorta?

7. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is the answer to your question, but what Cleveland desperately NEEDS is a functional Left Fielder. Not just a bat (Hurrah!! They've got Shelley Duncan!!), but an actual outfielder. Or.....they can just wait for Sizemore to heal (gack).

Chisenhall is unquestionably still the future at 3B, but only has about 150 ML at bats. Didn't show much strike zone discipline during the spring. Hannahan did a great job with the glove last season, better than expected at the plate. I suspect they'll get Chisenhall a few hundred AB's in Columbus, then try and deal Hannahan to an NL team (good fit for his game) later in the season.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Laugh at his 80-mph fastball if you want, but it looks like Jamie Moyer will make the Rockies' rotation this spring:

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/3/30/2915271/jamie-moyer-colorado-rockies-pitching-rotation-roster-news

I saw him pitch against the White Sox split squad on Wednesday, and while the Sox tagged him for a bunch of hits, he left the bases loaded once and wiggled out of another jam in his final inning with his usual assortment of slow, slower and slowest pitches. Made Fukudome look bad in particular.

Good for 49-year-old Moyer.

Oh, and for you Cactus League fans: The Talking Stick stadium in Scottsdale is absolutely fantastic. Great facility, and easy to get to off the 101 freeway.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

watched yu darvish for the first time tonight. 11 k's in 6 innings and he made some of the hitters look real foolish. hope that continues.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This could rival Joba for spring training injury of the year: Andre Ethier fouled a pitch into the press box, where it hit Diamondbacks (and former Dodgers) PR guy Josh Rawitch in the nards.

Josh Rawitch‏@joshrawitch
    Something isn't right in the world when you get hit with a foul ball below the waist and gain five followers

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Richie Ashburn wonders what the big deal is ...

http://www.omg-facts.com/view/Facts/852

Draft saved Draft deleted