1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spreading HIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 31, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yes, because having one HIV test is exactly the same as a daily colonoscopy.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Magic Johnson's acquisition aside, does anyone know a straight male who has ever gotten AIDS through vaginal sex with a woman?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OMG. Seriously? ASIDE from the guy in the link in this story, who passed it on to everyone in town, and they probably passed it on to THEIR partners?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Are you asking this as a serious question?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They don't have to be the same.

Once we've acknowledged that we all accept risks that may involve our death, then we can move on from the "But your life is on the line!" argument and on to arguments that are actually worth considering.

6. YankeeFan

The linked story does not say how the guy got AIDS, nor does it say that any woman he gave it to spread it to a straight male partner through vaginal sex.

I don't know any of those people personally, do you?

It was a simple, honest question.

I know a bunch of people who have AIDS, and who have died from it. I'm not blind or ignorant. I just don't know a single straight make who's ever gotten it through unprotected, vaginal sex with a woman, let alone his wife.

And, the question was in response to the hysteria of the dangers of unprotected sex with a spouse. Women have definitely gotten it from their husbands. I don't know a husband who's gotten it from his wife. That's all.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In fairness to Yankeefan, according to the CDC, 61 percent of new HIV diagnoses in 2009 (the most recent data available) were among gay or bisexual men. Nine percent came from IV drug users, and three percent came from MSM (men who have sex with men) IV drug users. Twenty-seven percent of new diagnoses were among heterosexual, non-IV drug users.

So, no, HIV of course is not limited totally to homosexuals and drug users, but the statistics show they run a significantly higher risk of contracting the virus than heterosexual, non-IV drug users.

That said, there remains a risk for ANYONE to contract AND SPREAD the disease.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The article doesn't say anything of the sort.

But that doesn't detract from the point: While it's a little bit less likely than other ways, of course a man can be infected by that heterosexual intercourse.

9. imjustagirl

YF, you know Magic personally?

10. YankeeFan

Touché.

Magic is, of course, the most famous example of a straight man who got aids from having sex with women. But, Magic had sex with thousands of women, apparently, and we have no way of knowing how he got it.

So, I just think it's silly to reference Magic, as some sort of evidence of how easily a man can get AIDS from a woman via vaginal sex.

I can understand a couple both getting tested before having unprotected sex. Fully endorse it.

But, I'm not sure a married couple needs to schedule annual tests unless there are some real concerns. And, a straight male, sleeping only with his wife, who does not engage in other high risk (IV drug use), truly has very little to worry about.

The numbers bear that out.

11. imjustagirl

My point wasn't for an annual test for married couples. It was that upon marriage, or upon any long-term relationship, one test wouldn't end the world.

I had a friend of mine. Distant friend, now, but knew her in high school. She wasn't a slut, but she wasn't a virgin either. But her husband sure thought she was on her wedding day.

Women lie. Men lie. If my odds of getting a deadly disease are in question, one test that gets done whenever you go to your annual exam with a gyno or get your annual blood work done shouldn't be that much to ask.

12. Mark Sanchez needs to be stopped.

Not sure if he has HIV or not but he needs to be stopped.

Draft saved Draft deleted