1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Spotlight"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 20, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

TigerVols likes this.
  2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This was my question as well.

I was the only person in the theater when I saw it last night. (It's like some other big name movie came out recently and everyone was over seeing that.) Thought it was great...this generation's All the President's Men. I could have used just a little bit more of the aftermath. It seems like it ended really abruptly after the publication of the initial story.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, you would think they would have at least mentioned the fact that Geoghan was later murdered by his cellmate.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Enjoyed it, and so did the non-journalist I went with. As an MOT, she cracked up when Barron unwrapped the catechism Law gave him.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'm with TigerVols.

I liked it, but both my wife and I thought it left out the tension. Where was the pushback from the church? Are you telling me Baron never heard any racial commentary while pursuing this? One drink with a made-up character? Come on.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Finally saw this yesterday and can honestly say I had no idea what it was about until after I bought the ticket. I'd read someone on here mention it was about journalism and since it was (still?) playing yesterday in Hong Kong, I opted for it over "Hail Caesar!"

Even though I never did investigative journalism, it made me nostalgic. I got a rush seeing the newsroom and missed doing research.

Amusing stuff I noticed was, at both scenes at bars/restaurants, the ice cubes in the glasses -- two of which had been supposedly sitting there awhile -- were perfectly formed cubes. They never melted, even a little bit. For some reason, it cracked me up.

As did the realization that Ceasar Flickerman was in it. I kept waiting on him to break into his laugh from "The Hunger Games."

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Not sure how I missed this movie until now (see below), but I'm glad I saw it. Seeing the full newsroom and a team dedicated to in-depth reporting would, sadly, make the movie seem like fiction to newcomers in the business today.

I agree with TigerVols that "Spotlight" could have used more tension and conflict — although they did do a good job emphasizing how Catholic cities like Boston are, and how that helped the Church sweep things under the rug and intimidate people.

I covered the clergy abuse story during the early 2000s in a Midwestern diocese that eventually declared bankruptcy to stop paying settlements to the surge of lawsuits, and having interviewed a few victims myself, they absolutely got that part of the movie right.

8. Jevans

Jevans Member

When I see this thread after the last year of media nonsense, I think of the scene in Jurassic Park where Laura Dern is digging through the mountain of dinosaur shit for remnants.

I am not sure which would be most entertaining:

(1) The journalists and former journalists doing a Louis C.K. while watching the movie.

(2) The Catholic-haters experiencing some form of sad bliss.

(3) The Catholics trying to figure out some way to ease their guilt.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Have a hug, dude

Draft saved Draft deleted