1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter wanted to cover Auburn football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, May 6, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We've got a couple of weeklies in our chain that operate separately from our operation. Occasionally, a candidate for an opening there will get sent to me. I send it back with a note stating "This came to the Podunk Fishwrap. The opening is at the Springfield Shopping News/Shelbyville Times." But I do not forward or tell the proper address ... as aspiring journalists, they need to know the right place to apply.

2. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Talked to Kevin about this the other night and he said he was sifting through cover letters and there were people doing things like mis-spelling the name of the newspaper they work for and stuff like that. Not sure if he chunked their resumes immediately, but I wouldn't be shocked if he had.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That happens everywhere. Every day.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Considering I'm in St. Louis and my kids live in Georgia, I'd love to relocate for this. Not only would it be a good gig, it'd get me closer to my boys.
    That being said, I noticed in my cover letter, I left off the I in Division I when talking about my past experiences. Oops. I hope that didn't get my application "chunked" as Joseph put it.

5. Kevin Price

Kevin Price New Member

We received a number of resumes for this position, and we are going through them as quickly as we can.

But there is still time to send your resume and cover letter to auburnposition@gmail.com if you are interested.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Done. Nathan, you got any info on who?

7. Nathan_C_Deen

Nathan_C_Deen New Member

According to Twitter, they hired Ryan Black, former sports editor of UGA's daily student newspaper

Draft saved Draft deleted