1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, Hilton Head Island (SC)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lhanlin, Dec 3, 2008.

1. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Just checked with my boss, and as far as he knows, we're still planning to fill this position. And we're planning to do so as quickly as reasonably possible, so if you don't have your stuff in yet, get a move on.

In response to the salary questions, I have not been privy to those discussions, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea to discuss them in this forum, even if I were. I'm sure that's something Lance will discuss with the candidates in the interview stage.

2. JB20

JB20 Member

So many people waste each other's time over salary. I've found that being upfront takes the questions out it later. Either it works or it doesn't, and it allows both parties to move on or continue discussions.

Just my two cents.

3. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

In general, I agree with you. But this is not the time or place to discuss it, and like I said, I'm not privy to those discussions. Interested candidates should feel free to take it up with Lance.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In my younger days, when I lived in Dixie, I would have been all over this one. Wonder if they cover the NASCAR race at Darlington or any ACC/SEC stuff?

5. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

We don't. Darlington is at the opposite end of the state, and we have sister papers all over the Carolinas that provide top-notch coverage of the state colleges. We mostly stick to our immediate coverage area, where we cover the hell out of preps, the local NAIA college, and local golf and tennis, as well as the Heritage, of course.

6. lhanlin

lhanlin New Member

I just found out our open position in The Beaufort Gazette/Island Packet sports department has been frozen. Thanks to all that applied. We will keep all materials on file. Hopefully, we will be allowed to fill it in the near future.

Lance Hanlin
    BG/IP sports editor

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Job is posted in many forums, and a week later it's pulled. But I thought smaller newspapers were gently rocking in the capsizing industry. ::)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Unlocking this one, as a source tells me the job was unfrozen and (re)filled by a former employee.

9. thebigd

thebigd Member

oh well

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

From the Birdscribe pipeline, Scott Hamilton, formerly of Wilmington, SportsBusinessDaily and Golfweek, procured this gig.

An excellent hire of an excellent reporter.

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Agreed. The Island-Packet could not have hired a better person or writer for the gig. Scott previously worked in Hilton Head as a sports writer, so he knows the territory.

Congrats to Scott.

12. This is great to hear. Scott is perfect for Hilton Head, and lord knows Hilton Head is perfect for Scott. Boy will be on the links every day he's off. Congrats!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted