1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, Escanaba, Mich.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by UPChip, Aug 25, 2008.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'm moving on to a sister paper, which means my position will be open around the middle of September. Here's the lowdown:

Is the pay great? (No, but the cost of living is about as low as it gets.)
    Is it an exciting place to live? (No, but if you're into the outdoors or nature, it doesn't get any better than the Upper Peninsula of Michigan)

It's just preps (about nine high schools, most of them small) and various other miscellany, but if you're a young person, maybe from the Upper Midwest, looking for a way into the business, this might be worth your time.

My boss can be demanding and at times challenging to work with (he's a throwback in every sense of the word), but I think I've learned from him how to do a lot of things the right way. After all, in less than two years of learning from him, I've become skilled enough to be an SE at a 10K circ six-day paper. PM me if you're interested.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Someone else just posted this today. Obviously that guy must have some inside knowledge since he said he hadn't seen the job posted yet.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/60225/

Draft saved Draft deleted