1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter Bucket List ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, May 7, 2009.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

If you've never been to New Orleans and decide to go, just don't let your expectations get away from you. It's a city like no other, with some of the best eating, drinking and music in the world, tons of history and gorgeous architecture.

It's also dirty, smelly, crowded and it can be a difficult place to get around in, especially for visitors. It has some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in North America, with a crime rate that's alarmingly high, and the police have a reputation for brutality and corruption.

The first thing any first-time visitor to New Orleans should do upon arrival at their hotel is get a map of the city and have a candid conversation with the desk clerk/concierge. Ask him/her point-blank to red-line the areas to avoid. Do that, and you should have a fun experience in the Big Easy.

2. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Saw The Kinks in Antwerp, Belgium in 1978. If Dave Davies is active in the band, move them up your list.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I used to have a list of things I wanted to cover -- all the biggies. I've done a lot -- Summer Olympics, title fights, baseball playoffs, Final Four. Eventually, I decided it didn't matter that much to me to cover the Masters or Wimbledon or whatever.
    My only sportswriting-related deal would be the one I'd never, ever want to cover: The Winter Olympics. I don't think I'll have to worry about that one now, but it was always a fear. I'll never understand why anyone would agree to take that on. Covering the Olympics is hassle enough when it's hot.
    I've traveled a lot of places and really don't have anyplace that I must get to. The wife wants to see Africa and is dying to visit Tuscany.
    Right now, my only bucket list item is to see Liverpool play at Anfield before they shut it down.
    That seemed a lot more urgent a couple years back, but I still want to get there soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted