1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter: Amarillo (Texas) Globe-News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by pressboxramblings07, Aug 1, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

I actually think I have, yes. quite a lot, actually ... and would like to think I wasn't that dense even then. but I'm down with your point ... lots of quality sections and more quality people in that area of the country. more collective good guys/sports writers there, maybe, than in many other regions.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

I haven't once said anything comparing newspapers in the East and newspapers in the West. Again, I said there are a lot of good jobs in West Texas, and a lot of good people doing good jobs.

I don't get the "West Texas is everything" mentality that people outside of Texas have about West Texas. Nobody in the state does.

Yeah, I'm young. I'm 24. I don't pretend to be an expert. But just because you have 21,000 posts on a message board, you're older, and you've been to Texas before doesn't mean you're the final judgement on everything West/East Texas.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

A. yes you do.

B. and to be honest, i'm glad you don't give a shit how many posts i have. but one thing i will tell you is i do have experience, and i know what's a solid product. in general, west texas sports sections kick ass for their size ... something your side of the state doesn't offer.

C. also, just for shits and giggles, what 5A school has more state championships than permian?

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'm sorry I come across that way then. I hate to sound like a know-it-all, so I'll concede this entire thread. I don't want any bad blood anyway.

Also, I shouldn't have taken a pot shot at your posts. I enjoy reading your posts because I know you're experienced.

As for Permian: Like I pointed out earlier in the thread, it's not a hatred or even a jealousy. A lot of it comes from growing up in East Texas ... DEEP East Texas ... which is the forgotten region of Texas (I'm trying not to sound like I have a victim complex because I hate that, too). West, Central, and even South Texas are romanticized; East Texas is "just Louisiana or Arkansas," according to everyone else in the state. Which is fine with me. It does identify more with Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi.

Permian hasn't won a state title in a long time, for Permian standards. And because these other regions are so romanticized, when people hear I'm from Texas, they ask me if I ride a horse and work on an oil rig and pull for Mojo.

I reply with, "No, I ride a hog, work on a natural gas pipeline, and pull for the Bayou Bengals."

Anyway, sorry to everyone I've offended. I don't mean that sarcastically. I'll take my licks as a jr. member and give due respect to board veterans.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dargan - first off, what you wrote took a lot of balls. second, i will concede that the permian thing is overrated, but it became that way for a reason. permian has a shitload of titles, and then add in midland and benson, and shit o rover.

yes, it probably was iffy to include permian in a job description for amarillo ... borderline stupidity possibly. but what i believe i saw was somebody dismissing an entire region of the country, a region that kicks ass, because of bias. people out that way work hard, and do a quality job.

i also apologize if i came across too strong.

6. Hillman

Hillman New Member

Due to a shrinking West Texas population, District 2-5A has increased to 10 teams this year.

It now includes Amarillo High, San Angelo Central, Lubbock Coronado, Midland Lee, Lubbock High, Midland High, Lubbock Monterey, Odessa High, Odessa Permian, and Amarillo Tascosa.

That district stretches over 300 miles from top to bottom. I haven't seen how play will be structured, but I expect the district will be divided into north and south zones.

Abilene High has moved to District 3-5A with six schools near or in Fort Worth.

Mentioning Permian for an Amarillo job does make sense with the new alignment although the Mojo coverage will be minimal.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

What do you guys think about North Texas?

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

It's overrated, like, every year.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

North Texas has its hits and misses. The DMN and Startlegram suck up a lot of the news oxygen there. There are smaller papers in the region, though, with outstanding staffs. Then there are those in the region whose staffs consist of lifers who think an enterprise piece is a story about Star Trek.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I think Todd Doge is wondering if he made the right decision. He's brought in a large class of freshman this year, but very few of them really wow me, including his son Riley. I think Riley is a decent QB who thrived in Southlake-Carroll's system, but I wonder how he'll do at college. Fortunately that other kid Vizza proved to be pretty decent last year, so we may never have to see Dodge.
    The big questions are going to be on the lines. Not much to work with there on either side.
    Plus with games against K-State and LSU in non-conference, they are going to be beaten down pretty bad before they even start conference.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I knew a Permian buddy who I went to New Orleans with back about 1990. He wore his mojo jacket...those who know Permian know about "mojo" and I laughed, saying in New Orleans, there's no way in hell people will recognize that for what it was. As soon as we hit Bourbon Street, we haven't walked a half-block and some guy yells "Hey- Permian. All right."

Indeed, it is ridiculous.

12. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted