1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SportsCenter: attaboys and WTFs thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

nix in today's gints/saints report said, "after the media session, shockey told me ..." and then shared shockey's great nugget of wisdom, which was the oldest cliche in the book.

nobody cares about "he told me," especially when what he told you has zero news value.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

wait a minute... aren't you contractually obligated to like the espn guys? ;)

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nope. I just can't mention the ones I don't like. :D

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Count me in on the Rachel Nichols bandwagon, and for that matter, I've always found Sage Steele to be pretty good-looking as well.

As for the gentlemen, I think everyone loves SVP, though I think he's actually better when he's not on golf because on the course, he's just so tied to the Tiger Machine that it's not as fun.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Michelle just seems like a natural, and makes Colin tolerable. First saw her when she was doing some feature on Fenway Park that has aired on MLB Network. Love her witty style.

She's on her way to becoming a future face of the network.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Whenever I see Scott Van Pelt, I think of the voicemail he left to a girl he met at Dewey Beach in Delaware.

7. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

I think we forgot all about Colleen Dominguez. She's getting older, but still much easier on the eyes than Pedro Gomez.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Um... no. He's not like a beat writer, and his job is not to be objective. His job is to present sports highlights. Dude isn't moderating a presidential debate, he's narrating a bunch of home runs and touchdowns. He can say whatever the hell he wants. Doesn't mean you have to like him, but don't make up some pretend job description and then get mad that he doesn't adhere to the made-up rules.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Easy tiger. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I see SC anchors like news anchors, all of whom are object (at least the professional ones). SC anchors of yore were always, save for a few silly moments, professional people.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think you're romanticizing things. Sure, on a story like the civil suit against Roethlisberger, play it straight. But if you're going to tell me that Olbermann didn't send any snide shots across the bow...well, I'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

11. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

It's all part of the game. It's not "World News Tonight."

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Van Pelt was standing under the eaves of the clubhouse at The Memorial at Murifield Village about five years ago because it was raining pretty hard. A random kid, around 10 years old, comes up and hands him a golf ball, asking him to sign it.

Van Pelt: Seriously, you want me to sign a ball for you?
    Kid: Yes, please. My father told me to get your autograph.
    Van Pelt: Why?
    Kid: I dunno...will you sign it?
    Van Pelt: Sure, I guess. (Signs ball awkwardly...obviously the first golf ball he had ever signed).
    Van Pelt: Here you go (hands it to the kid). Sorry, I kind of fucked it up and smudged it. Oops, probably shouldn't have said that to you. Sorry.
    Kid: Thanks (hurries away)
    Van Pelt (to me): I'm such a fucking idiot sometimes.
    Me: Uhhh Huhhh.

Draft saved Draft deleted