1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, York Dispatch, York, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Company: The York Dispatch
    Position:
    Sports writer
    Job Status:  Full-time
    Salary:  Negotiable
    Ad Expires: 
    August 22, 2006
    Job ID: 541372

Description:
    The York Dispatch, an award-winning newspaper in southcentral Pennsylvania, is seeking an energetic sports reporter with a flair for writing and an eye for detail. The Dispatch, which has won numerous APSE awards over the past decade, is a five-day-a-week afternoon newspaper in an extremely competitive two-newspaper town. This job requires extensive local coverage, especially high school sports, but also provides opportunities for more in-depth features as well as some limited pro and college reporting. A weekly local/regional column is also expected. Former Dispatch sports reporters are now working at the Washington Post and Baltimore Sun, among other larger papers. This is a great opportunity - and you’ll have Fridays and Saturdays off. Those interested should send resumes and clips to Steve Heiser, Sports Editor, The York Dispatch, 205 N. George St., P.O. Box 2807, York, Pa., 17405, or e-mail sheiser@yorkdispatch.com.

I know we've had discussions on here before about the compare and contrast between the Dispatch and the Daily Record, but this gig can't be all that horrible.

Anyone have circ. numbers or possible salary range for this one?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When I applied for this gig about five years ago, I was told the salary was around $36,000. It was a union shop back then. Not sure if it still is.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

DISPATCH, YORK (YORK CO.) FRI E DLY 39,402
    DISPATCH, YORK (YORK CO.) MON E DLY 30,387
    DISPATCH, YORK (YORK CO.) WED E DLY 29,817
    DISPATCH, YORK (YORK CO.) THU E DLY 29,957
    DISPATCH, YORK (YORK CO.) AVG E (M-F) DLY 32,013
    DISPATCH, YORK (YORK CO.) TUE E DLY 30,506

4. Ummmmm .... Fridays and Saturdays off? Is this the Bizarro world?

5. Hank_Scorpio

DAILY RECORD, YORK (YORK CO.) WED M DLY 45,456
    DAILY RECORD, YORK (YORK CO.) AVG M (M-F) DLY 47,583
    DAILY RECORD, YORK (YORK CO.) THU M DLY 47,598
    DAILY RECORD, YORK (YORK CO.) FRI M DLY 46,108
    DAILY RECORD, YORK (YORK CO.) TUE M DLY 49,244
    DAILY RECORD, YORK (YORK CO.) SAT M DLY 67,019
    DAILY RECORD, YORK (YORK CO.) MON M DLY 49,506
    DAILY RECORD, DISPATCH, YORK (YORK CO.)

6. Hank_Scorpio

NEWS, YORK (YORK CO.) SUN DLY 90,651

7. Dispatch doesn't have the Sunday paper anymore. Strictly a Monday through Friday shot now. I'm an alum, a proud alum, and if anyone has questions, feel free to contact me. Lots of good people have passed through, and lots of good people still at the paper, too. Can't speak to the salary, but I don't think they're going to break the bank.

8. AJ_Fiore

AJ_Fiore New Member

I am the current/soon to be former Sports Clerk here at the 'Spatch. Great group of guys working here in sports and all around a great paper to work for. Anyone wants any more information, get ahold of me...

9. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

It still is, but they are in a nasty battle with new ownership if I am not mistaken.

That aside, as has been metioned, the place does have a good track record for folks advancing from there.

10. Didn't this same opening come up this time last year? So AJ, where are you off to?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nate Wilkinson left last year to go to grad school. Colin (forget the last name) was hired to replace him; as far as I know, he's still there, along with one of the better guys you'll ever find in this business, Dick VanOlinda..

The nasty union battle is with the York Daily Record. Sounds like the guild and MediaNews are stuck at an impasse, as I haven't heard much about that one in a while.

Steve Heiser is a really good guy. I applied for the job given to Colin last year, and Steve was very up-front throughout the whole process. YDR staffers, including Frank B. (another Dispatch alum), are good folk, too.

Martin has more knowledge about the inner workings than I do, but I'd also be glad to answer any questions.

12. Wicked, I'm guessing you should apply again.

Draft saved Draft deleted